Author Topic: Avast doesn't startup after Updating  (Read 7275 times)

Mike_A

Avast doesn't startup after Updating
« on: February 05, 2011, 09:20:16 PM »
Windows XP Prof
Latest Avast

I have to reboot 3 to 5 times before Avast will actually start up (the red ball with white X goes away). This has happened for the last 5 or 6 updates. There is nothing unusual on my system. Sometimes I am not even able to connect to the Internet because everything after the Avast start up just does not continue. I have to wait a long time for the Internet to start up. Does it take a long time for the new update files to get in place? Any ideas? It is very frustrating. I have consider another anti-virus program but will try to stick with Avast if this problem can be fixed quickly.

Thanks.

Mike

YoKenny

Re: Avast doesn't startup after Updating
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:44:23 PM »
How much RAM does the system have ???
XP Prof SP3 ???

Mike_A

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 10:16:19 PM »
Yes, it is SP3 and has 1 GB of RAM.

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 10:26:37 PM »
Try delaying avast! services.

Right click on the avast! icon in the taskbar then Open avast! user interface then SETTINGS then Troubleshooting then select Load avast! services only after loading other system services   

Mike_A

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 10:56:11 PM »
I did that. Thanks. I will let you know the results after the next update.

Mike

wtfwtfwtf

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 02:16:52 AM »
Turn on the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and set it to Automatic, that is what did it for me on XP Pro SP3.
It seems if you tweak XP services Avast is relying on them to know if it itself is running.
Also in Avast in Settings/StatusBar, unselect things for it to monitor that you haven't got running like auto updates if you're not using them, and the notification will go away.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 02:18:26 AM by wtfwtfwtf »

Mike_A

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 07:20:46 PM »
Still having a problem with Avast not starting up after an update. I tried "Troubleshooting then select Load avast! services only after loading other system services" and that has not helped.

Any other ideas?

Mike

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 07:26:06 PM »
Other security related software installed..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Mike_A

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 07:39:56 PM »
Only SpyBot. And this has only been happening since that last 5 or 6 Avast updates and I have had SpyBot longer than that.

Mike

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 07:41:27 PM »
Only SpyBot. And this has only been happening since that last 5 or 6 Avast updates and I have had SpyBot longer than that.

Mike

Remove SB and try again. ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Mike_A

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 06:35:23 PM »
I know it is not SB because SB is always on. If SB was the problem, Avast would never start up. But it has after 2 to 5 reboots.

A strange thing did happen in the previous update. It started up right away. Go figure. And in the update yesterday it started up after one reboot. The reboot was required because Avast 6 was installed.

It seems to be coming up now right away. My guess is that it takes a long time for Avast to completely install itself. I do not know what else it could be.

But it is working okay now!

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Jack 1000

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 10:30:58 PM »
Mike,

Try a repair of Avast.

Go to Control Panel than Add/Remove Programs, and than click on Avast like you are going to remove it.  You will get a Repair option under like three options.  Click that.  Follow the prompts after that.  You may need to reboot.

Jack

Jack 1000

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 12:41:21 AM »
Mike,

Try a repair of Avast.

Go to Control Panel than Add/Remove Programs, and than click on Avast like you are going to remove it.  You will get a Repair option under like three options.  Click that.  Follow the prompts after that.  You may need to reboot.

Jack

Mike,

The other thing that I was thinking of is, when you said, SB, I assume you mean Spybot Search and Destroy.  Do have the Tea Timer installed for Spybot S & D?  A long time ago, I heard that this can conflict with Avast.

For best results, Avast a lot of times does not like other always running shields from competing programs in the background.

Try uninstalling Spybot S & D and see if that improves Avast updates.  I would leave Spybot S & D uninstalled.  If you want it through and choose to reinstall it, don't include the Tea Timer utility.  (This MAY require a Custom Install of SBS&D.)  If you do the Typical install, UNCHECK anything associated with Tea Timer.

Than if you are still have problems, and with Tea Timer uninstalled, run the Avast Repair utility.  Report back so we can see how it went.

Jack

Mike_A

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 12:48:53 AM »
No, the Tea Timer is NOT installed. It causes problems with a lot of things so I disabled it.

The updates seem to be working now. Thanks.

Mike