Author Topic: Uninstalling avast 6 and installing 5.  (Read 11740 times)

Littlebear

Uninstalling avast 6 and installing 5.
« on: February 27, 2011, 09:11:48 PM »
Is there any problem if I uninstall avast 6 and install avast 5 instead?

I uninstalled 6 through Add/remove programs, then i ran ccleaner (dunno if it makes any difference) and now i want to install avast 5.

Do you guys think i might have problems doing that? Because i didnt use avast removal tool... Would it be better install 6?

Sorry if its a stupid question.

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
Re: Uninstalling avast 6 and installing 5.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:27:25 PM »

I uninstalled 6 through Add/remove programs, then i ran ccleaner (dunno if it makes any difference) and now i want to install avast 5.

Do you guys think i might have problems doing that? Because i didnt use avast removal tool... Would it be better install 6?

You can try Avast! 6 if you want you can everytime uninstall It and install avast 5
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 09:27:56 PM »

I would run the Clean up tool aswClear6.exe before reinstalling either version. THis tool cleans both version5 and version6
Down load and run in SAFE MODE:
http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe

Then all should be fine :)

Littlebear

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 09:36:22 PM »
but im just reinstalling it, is that tool really necessary ?

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 09:39:33 PM »

No. The uninstall utility is only necessary when the standard uninstall is incorrect.

I never used avast! cleaner when I re/uninstalling avast!

But why U want to install Av5? Av6 is way better  ???

Can you say why av5 and not av6? Do you have any problems with the new avast 6?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:43:57 PM by danny96 »
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 09:50:07 PM »

No. The uninstall utility is only necessary when the standard uninstall is incorrect.

I never used avast! cleaner when I re/uninstalling avast!

But why U want to install Av5? Av6 is way better  ???

Can you say why av5 and not av6? Do you have any problems with the new avast 6?

Thats fine, I'm not sure what exact changes in Platform code etc between v.5 and v.6 but the differences between v.4.8 and v.5 made it adviseable to always run the tool in Safe Mode. Many users who found problems upgrading and changing versions found that running aswClear.exe resolved the issues.
Just  been my experience. :)

Littlebear

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 09:53:10 PM »

I think im gonna try avast 6 again, not 5.

Are ppl having problems with avast 6 while playing online games?
thank you both for helping me out.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 09:58:14 PM »
You're welcome
Goodluck

Littlebear

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 10:49:25 PM »
ah, sorry for asking again but im having trouble trying to download avast 6, but i have avast 5 here, so can i install avast 5 and upgrade/update it or would it be a bad idea? Because schmidthouse said "Thats fine, I'm not sure what exact changes in Platform code etc between v.5 and v.6 but the differences between v.4.8 and v.5 made it adviseable to always run the tool in Safe Mode. Many users who found problems upgrading and changing versions found that running aswClear.exe resolved the issues.
Just  been my experience." and danny96 said its fine...

Would i know if something goes wrong?

And i kinda dont want to go around the internet trying to download it because my computer is without avast '-'(im posting from another computer).

Sorry for bothering agaain.

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 09:28:51 AM »
If you want to install Avast 6 then you will need to uninstall Avast 5. It must be clean install not just update. So please uninstall version 5 and then install version 6.

When you have problems with uninstalling avast! then download Avast! cleaner and then run it in safe mode
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:30:38 AM by danny96 »

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 10:19:16 AM »
To add to the prior post, since you previously had v.6 on your machine already then uninstalled it, then reinstalled v.5, now want to go back to v.6...if I'm following correctly.  Because v.6 puts files in a different place on your machine than v.5.1, you will need to run the new Avast Uninstaller tool that was given to you earlier in this thread.  But more importantly, when you use the tool in Safe Mode, you will need to uninstall ALL previous versions you had on this machine at that time, then reboot your machine.  Make sure you have already downloaded (not installed) the v.6 download file prior to uninstalling anything if you don't already have it on your HDD.  Thanks.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 11:53:01 AM »
If you want to install Avast 6 then you will need to uninstall Avast 5. It must be clean install not just update. So please uninstall version 5 and then install version 6.

When you have problems with uninstalling avast! then download Avast! cleaner and then run it in safe mode
Thanks

That is not true for the final V6.

It will be upgradeable through the GUI, and it worked fine on my system to upgrade via GUI.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 11:55:24 AM »
@ Zyndstoff,

It is upgradable through the GUI, however for users having problems we often found that an uninstall and clean install does the trick.  ;)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 05:29:23 PM »
@ Zyndstoff,

It is upgradable through the GUI, however for users having problems we often found that an uninstall and clean install does the trick.  ;)

I agree with SafeSurf. In any case it can only help! :)

Jack 1000

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 10:17:40 PM »
There still seems to be some confusion in this thread- Here is what I would do:

1.) Get a copy of the Avast Uninstall utility and save it to your Internet Downloads folder. If you have a lot of other folders in your downloads folder, you can rename the uninstal utility folder to something more recognizable. (i.eAvast Program Removal.Safe Mode) (i.e you hopefully won't need it, but you have it if you do.)

2.) Don't run it, just save it.

3.) Back up your files.

4.) If you want version 6, download it through the GUI, following the prompts in Avast 5's GUI.

5.) Reboot, even if not prompted after the install.

6.) Check your settings and license stuff in the GUI to see how they carred over following the reboot.  Adjust settings accordingly.

7.) If you have a problem, try a repair of Avast through Add/Remove Programs. Select Repair, follow the prompts.

8.) Still having problems? Uninstall Avast from Add/Remove programs, NOW run the Avast Uninstall utility by closing out of everything, logging in as an Administrator in Safe mode.  Run the uninstall utility and follow the prompts, reboot.

9.) Get a fresh download of Avast 6 from Avast's website and proceed to install.

10.) Open Avast, click on Maintenance, and fill out the form for your Registration and License Key and click submit.

Jack

PS. Hopefully, after step 6, you can stop with everything good. However, these would be the 10 steps in the order that I would do them. As new builds are released for version 6, more and more people should be able to just update through the GUI.  Personally, I would try that first.