Author Topic: ON ACCESS SCANNER  (Read 6114 times)

av-outsource

ON ACCESS SCANNER
« on: September 13, 2004, 12:33:15 PM »
Guys, we have been doing some test in our lab. We have found that avast allows us to copy virus.exe and zip'd files to the c-drive and let us copy them from folder to folder with no alerting.??????

This is very concerning we have all settings set to high.

Your help would be appriciated. BTW Mcafee VirusScan 8 has the same issue, but version 7.1 doesn't.

Am i missing something?  ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:ON ACCESS SCANNER
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 12:53:10 PM »
Your saying that this happens even if the on-access scanner sensitivity is set to high? This is how it behaves when it's set to normal but shouldn't be the case for high.

What is the OS you were testing this under?
And does the Last Scanned File entry for Standard Shield change when you copy the file?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

av-outsource

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 02:39:26 PM »
Your saying that this happens even if the on-access scanner sensitivity is set to high? This is how it behaves when it's set to normal but shouldn't be the case for high.

What is the OS you were testing this under?
And does the Last Scanned File entry for Standard Shield change when you copy the file?

Thanks
Vlk

Simon here has discovered the settings hadn't saved for some reason and sends his appolagies. Its set to High and finding the virus when moving it from location to location. BUT! It is still possible to move a zip file with a virus from drive to drive, folder to folder without alerts.

Is there some place in on Access scanner to enable archive scanning?

thanks   :D

whocares

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 02:47:15 PM »
Hi,

in the Home version you can do it via editing the Deftasks.xml; see the User'S FAQ:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=4818;start=15

in the Pro-Version it should work via editing the tasks in the GUI

you might also browse the topic about avast4.ini:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647

av-outsource

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 04:15:44 PM »
thank you  ;D

guestja

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 05:33:35 PM »
Regarding adding archive scanning by adding code from above:

"in the Home version you can do it via editing the Deftasks.xml;"

I have a operating system question related to the above. I have windows 98se set to show all files and I can open the file Deftasks.xml but don't see how to edit it. Does anyone familiar with this os how to do this?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 05:37:12 PM by guestja »

whocares

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 05:55:52 PM »
Hi,

can you not open the file in NotePad/Wordpad/any text-editor.. ?

- you have Win98 ?
- do you have an old or new PC then?

--> especially on older PC's having avast Shield scan Archives will seriously decrease performance..
--> in avast mainscanner you just checkmark the appropriate line for archivescan when selecting the scan target/scan sensitivity
 ;)

guestja

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 06:31:27 PM »
whocares
I have win98se on a 450 mhz machine with 128 ram.  I was able to edit the file by renaming it to a .txt file then opening it, adding the code, and renaming it back to deftasks.xml.  I have just restarted and come back, and have not looked for any affects yet.
Referring to your statement that it would slow down my machine considerably is a concern though.
What practical benifit is gained by enabling this feature. (I am new to Avast)  Would I be adequately protected without this tweak in your opinion.?

whocares

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2004, 07:08:34 PM »

on-Demand ("Normal" scan) you should enable archive scanning, but the ResidentShield (On-Access-Scanner/Background-Monitor) shouldn't scan archives as
- malware in archives is inactive until unpacked, and then the Shield will catch the extracted file
- imho it would pretty much slow down your rather weak machine

- setting the avast shield sensitivity to "high" would be a better approach to enhanced security..
- and read the link "VirusRemoval" below in my sig about how to secure your system better..

you might want to browse the forums here a bit, especially the User's FAQs in OFFTOPIC forum, and read the avast help/docu/FAQ's ;)

guestja

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2004, 07:20:31 PM »
Thank you for your reply.