Author Topic: [Resolved] Fonts missing  (Read 2370 times)

2nd base

[Resolved] Fonts missing
« on: February 28, 2011, 04:39:01 AM »
I know this probably has nothing to do with avast! but I just purchased a new HP Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit machine and the very first thin that I installed was avast! 6.  Even before i opened up the browser or anything. After I opened up the browser upon reboot, all of the fonts are italicized and bold. I have never really placed allot of interest in memorizing which fonts were used and installed in the past so at this point, I've only technically noticed that Aerial standard and Verdana standard are not in the fonts folder. I'm sure there are others but I just want to ask if any other windows 7 users have experienced this.

I cannot believe that they wouldn't add the most used fonts on the www in this OS.

And then you would have to PURCHASE them on top of that? I don't know. it's silly if you ask me.

avast!6 appears to be doing it's think right as far as i have messed with it at this point though. I don't understand why i have this webrep toolbar in my browser and explorer though. I certainly did not install it. It's not functional but it has scribbled itself into these programs regardless. Of course, I'll fix that but this font think bugs me. Is it an OS shortcoming? A fascist plan to force you to buy fonts/ ;D or did avast! re-scribble something?

It's just weird.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:20:11 PM by 2nd base »

SafeSurf

Re: Fonts missing
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:45:42 AM »
Avast has nothing to do with your fonts and I have never heard of this problem.  May I ask did your new machine come with a trial version of an antivirus as most new machines do?  If so, did you uninstall the trial version prior to installing Avast?  The reason I mention this is because having more than one antivirus (AV) on your machine will create havoc and software will not work properly.  If you are not sure if you have a trial AV on your new machine, please look at your paperwork or call the vendor where you bought the machine.

If you have another AV on your machine, let us know and we can give you the uninstaller link to remove it.

As for the WebRep toolbar, unless you select Custom Install, this is automatically installed, however you can customize things in Avast and change this.  Avast is also in the process of making a fix to WebRep now, so you will see an improvement in this.

Please get back to us about a trial version of an AV on your new machine as I believe this may be causing your problems.  Thank you.

2nd base

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 11:51:49 AM »
I had "Geek Squad" remove everything off of the computer at Best Buy except for the operating system itself. Also ran the norton removal tool when I got home because I knew they would only uninstall it via the remove programs function.

I've installed the fonts since my previous posting here as well so it's no longer an issue.

Was just one of those times that I didn't really feel like messing with removing junk that comes pre-installed on  the machine myself and I didn't think the font issue was anything on avast! end. Just wondering if anyone had heard of it before.

As far as the webrep, I'll fiddle with it. It's not actually installed because I did a custom install of avast! without the webrep. It just scribbled itself into my toolbar menus in IE and windows explorer. I'll get rid of that issue as far as it affects my machine.

Was just saying that even though I didn't install webreb, it added menu context regardless. That's all.

Thanks for the feedback though.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:57:34 AM by 2nd base »

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 11:57:19 AM »
So is everything working OK for you now? 

2nd base

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 12:00:22 PM »
Yes. It was just the fonts that had me stumped. They probably removed something that took the fonts with it.

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Fonts missing
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:06:16 PM »
Good to hear.  :)  Enjoy Avast.

Please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you.