Author Topic: Avast 6 take long-time boot...  (Read 43784 times)

gd1328

Avast 6 take long-time boot...
« on: February 28, 2011, 06:35:04 AM »
This is normal or a problem?  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast 6 take long-time boot...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 12:53:34 PM »
It's a problem if it continues.
Does it occur in every boot?
The best things in life are free.

dagrev

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 01:26:31 PM »
I looked and Soluto says avast takes 128 seconds on my computer.  That is a long time.  Wonder why it's taking so long?

dagrev

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 07:33:12 PM »
I did a clean install to see if this was a reason but I'm still 128 seconds for avast to load.

Anyone know what is going on?  Ver 5 didn't take this long.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 07:54:53 PM »
Toshiba Intel P7450 2.13 GHz, 4 Gig Ram / Win7 (x64), AIS 6.0, Malwarebytes Pro, RollbackRx, Acronis TI, SugarSync (free).

Well your system is no slouch either and comparing with previous avast5 is a good marker.

Were you also using AIS with version5 ?

However, avast 6 does have more functionality, so I don't know if that might mean it is doing more scanning at boot if some of these applications are running on boot:
Malwarebytes Pro, RollbackRx, Acronis TI.

So their access to the system may well cause avast to do more scanning in avast6 than in avast5. I don't know how early the behaviour shield might be running as these two applications RollbackRx, Acronis TI may have it working overtime.

There were some instances certainly in the 6.0 beta tests with some drive imaging software, so I don't know if there might be something here in these two. Something that you could check with notepad, c:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\BehaviorShield.txt and see if there are any entries for either of these applications.

If so you could copy and paste the full path and file name into the BehS Trusted processes and see if it makes any difference.

I really haven't seen any noticeable difference in boot times from avast free 5.1 to 6.0.1000 on the system in my signature and my win7 starter netbook.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 08:20:09 PM »
I got rid of Soluto and my boot times went back to the same as V5.

doktornotor

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 08:32:44 PM »

LOL.  ;D

dagrev

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 11:30:30 PM »
Toshiba Intel P7450 2.13 GHz, 4 Gig Ram / Win7 (x64), AIS 6.0, Malwarebytes Pro, RollbackRx, Acronis TI, SugarSync (free).

Well your system is no slouch either and comparing with previous avast5 is a good marker.

Were you also using AIS with version5 ?...

check with notepad, c:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\BehaviorShield.txt and see if there are any entries for either of these applications.

If so you could copy and paste the full path and file name into the BehS Trusted processes and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks DavidR.  Yes, I was running AIS 5 and it didn't have this much of a lag-time.

I don't have that location "reports," however, I just reinstalled AIS to see if that was an issue so possibly it hasn't been generated yet.(?)

I am down to 82 seconds on the last boot.

YoKenny- I may indeed try removing Soluto if nothing else turns up.  But it's a nice way for non technically advanced people like myself to easily remove some things from boot.

ace11

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 12:38:41 AM »

LOL LOL

dagrev

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 12:48:38 AM »
With Soluto I can tell exactly how long each item takes to book, without it it's simply a guess or I have to time the whole process.  And even with that I have no way of knowing how long each item takes.  Soluto is helpful in this respect.  I'm guessing there are other ways to see how long a program takes to boot, but I don't know if it.  So in this case Soluto likely pointed out a problem I would not know of.

doktornotor

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 12:51:38 AM »
Hmmm well... I recall a utility with the same functionality produced directly by MS (analyzing and "optimizing" boot time). It was called BootVis (?). Was discontinued by MS as it was causing more harm than good.  :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 01:50:52 AM »
Was discontinued by MS as it was causing more harm than good.  :D
Bootvis never caused harm. It was discontinued with Windows Vista. It was a good application.
So Soluto is doing its work. Maybe any other program is conflicting with avast (or the network drivers are blocking it to load).
I had my slow boots from time to time.

dagrev

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 01:56:44 AM »
I'd love to just get under 40 seconds!

Tech, was that with AIS 6 or 5?

82 Seconds was my last boot time for avast (alone).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 01:59:13 AM »
Tech, was that with AIS 6 or 5?
Both I suppose. Also the version 6 beta was there.

dagrev

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 02:06:54 AM »
I didn't notice the long boot time till the the finial release.  Maybe I should install the last beta and see if there is any difference.