Author Topic: After porgramm update: screen freezes when I try to use my HP-printer / scanner  (Read 3701 times)

Mc_User

Hello,

I updated from avast 5 to avast 6 free version. Now I cannot use any longer my printer / scanner from Hewlett Packard. As soon as I click the appropriate icon in the try, the screen freezes.

Any help available?

best wishes
Mc User

2nd base

I have a hewlett packard printer/fax/copier C6180 and it works fine with avast!
I don't know what you have going on and probably couldn't give any useful advice for a MAC.When i had it installed on XP though, i do recall avast! moving some hp printer stuff into the virus chest. Don't recall which ones though because it was some time ago and i just moved them back where they belonged.

I can't even check to see which files they were for you either because I took the computer out behind the barn and shot it a few times with the 12 gauge, I was so mad at it.

2nd base

Of course, that was avast! 5 though. not 6.

Mc_User

... perhaps some more details to receive any good advice:

I work with a medion E1210 Notebook and a hp psc 1315 All-in One (Printer/Scanner). Operation System is Windows XP SP3.

Everything was ok as long as I worked with avast 5. After upgrade to avast 6 the following problem occurs. After starting the Scanner-SW and selecting the option "scan a document" Avast 6 suggests to put the appropriate program into the Sandbox. If I reject this option the screen freezes and the computer stops to work completely. I have to reboot the computer.

Would be nice to receive an help!!!!

gonzogonzo

I have the same printer, windows seven 32bit with AIS6;
using windows fax and scanner not problem at today....

pepe2

... perhaps some more details to receive any good advice:

I work with a medion E1210 Notebook and a hp psc 1315 All-in One (Printer/Scanner). Operation System is Windows XP SP3.

Everything was OK as long as I worked with avast 5. After upgrade to avast 6 the following problem occurs. After starting the Scanner-SW and selecting the option "scan a document" Avast 6 suggests to put the appropriate program into the Sandbox. If I reject this option the screen freezes and the computer stops to work completely. I have to reboot the computer.
Same thing happened to me with HP Photosmart 2610 All-In-One. With Avast5, no problem at all. After update to Avast6 and trying to scan, I got the same "put the program into the Sandbox?". Computer freezes from then on. I have to hard-reset the PC every time. I switched off "Auto-sandbox" in Avast but did not help. When disabling Avast, I could scan without any problem. The message specified this file:
File: C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Ima...\hpqkygrp.exe
Started by: C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Ima...\Hpqdirec.exe
I ended up adding directory C:\Program Files\HP to exclusion.
I wasted long hours trying to troubleshoot the problem before realizing it was Avast. Even tried reinstalling printer drivers (which implied a ~500MB driver download!). Not happy.

Mc_User

Hello pepe2

Every time the mistake occurs, the concerned files are indicated by the Avast Sandbox. So I excluded the folder which contains those files from checking by the Sandbox. This seams to work.

Please try it as well and tell me your results.

Mc_User