Author Topic: Outlook 2000 on XP launches for about a second, then disappears - Avast plug-in?  (Read 4090 times)

paulajune

Greetings.

My Google searches bring up similar problems but with no solution except to disable the Avast Outlook plug-in. Others say they have tried reinstalling Outlook and starting Outlook in safe mode, to no avail.

When the Outlook screen appears ever so briefly, a mini Avast screen is on top of it that says "MS outlook plug-in", so I'm figuring that is the problem? This just started today for me. I'm wondering if a new Avast update caused this.

If I do need to disable Avast's Outlook plug-in, please tell me how to do this.

Thank you so much!

k.u.r.t

Hi,
we actually have 2 plugins installed. The antispam toolbar and the backend plugin. The first one show the toolbar buttons (can you confirm they are shown?) the latter scans emails behind the scene as they arrive (this one is showing the splash screen at outlook startup). First off we need to discover which one (if any) is causing this behaviour. Ensure that none of the two plugins are disabled and then do the following:

Go to avast settings > maintenance. set enable debug logging. restart outlook. after the crash go to c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\log and post your asOutExt.log file here. Should you see any files with a name similar to udpXXXXX.mdmp then please post here  some of the more recent ones as well.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 03:33:56 PM by k.u.r.t »

paulajune

Forgive me if this is my second reply - I had an error mssg saying I already posted, but then couldn't find my post.

Thanks for the quick response. I followed your instructions with regards to Avast settings, then went to the log folder, but it does not contain a file called "asOutExt.log". It does have a file called "aswAr.log", which I'm posting. I'm also posting a screen shot of the folder so you can see the other files.

Please advise from this point.

Thank you so much,
Paula

k.u.r.t

no asoutext.log means that the toolbar plugin was never even started. lately there have been more posts like yours around on this forum. The culprit was found to be iTunes. Please have a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=63521.0 and let me know if that helped at all.

paulajune

Yahoo! You're my hero - thank you so much.

Within the thread you gave me was a link to the solution on an Apple forum: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2567723&start=90&tstart=0.

Page 7 of this thread had the solution that worked for me, but I'll paste it here, to make it easier for those reading this:
"To make life easier for everyone, I thought I would post Apple's article here!
Resolution

iTunes will sync with Microsoft Outlook 2003, Microsoft Outlook 2007, or Microsoft Outlook 2010. If you use Microsoft Outlook 2000, you can resolve this issue by renaming the "OutlookChangeNotifierAddIn.dll" file. This file can be renamed however you choose, and is found in the following default location depending on your operating system:

* Windows XP, Windows Vista (32-bit) or Windows 7 (32-bit):
o C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\OutlookChangeNotifierAddIn.dll
* Windows Vista (64-bit) or Windows 7 (64-bit):
o C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\OutlookChangeNotifierAddIn.dll

If you install Microsoft Outlook 2003, Microsoft Outlook 2007, or Microsoft Outlook 2010 after renaming this file, you may need to reinstall iTunes 10 before being able to sync Contacts, Calendars, email account information, or Notes.

I renamed it OutlookChangeNotifierAddIn - problem file.dll "

I used the same name he did.

Thanks again.
Paula

paulajune

That's great. Thanks for posting.
PJ