Author Topic: My avast gadget doesn't work on 32 bits sidebar  (Read 2789 times)

TPXP

My avast gadget doesn't work on 32 bits sidebar
« on: February 26, 2011, 09:18:07 PM »
Hello,
I'm writing to you because I have a problem with the Avast gadget integrated with the version 6 of avast!
I run a 64 bits version of Windows 7 but, for compatibility reasons, I run a 32 bits sidebar.
When I updated avast!, the 64 bits version of the sidebar ran with the avast! gadget working. But I wanted to keep the compatibility of 32 bits version so I changed the version and I restarted the avast! gadget... But it stills doing nothing and doesn't work.
Has anyone got an idea?
TPXP
PS : Sorry for my bad English, I'm French :)

doktornotor

Re: My avast gadget doesn't work on 32 bits sidebar
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »
No idea how did you get 32bit sidebar on x64, anyway as you noted, this is unsupported and won't work. Not exactly what I'd call "compatibility".  ???

TPXP

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 07:38:04 AM »
Some gadgets are written for 32 bits sidebars and not 64 bits, I use some of these so I have to run a 64 bits version of my sidebar. To do it, I push Super("Windows" button)+r so that I open the execute windows and I type "%systemdrive%\Program Files (x86)\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe" afer have stopped the 64 bits sidebar.
By doing this, the 32bits sidebar replaces the 64 bits path of the startup files by her path.

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 09:17:38 AM »
Shrug... grab the gadget from some x86 Avast installation then. I do not really think the gadget adds any functionality to Avast, just a gimmick. Not really needed - all this excercise is not worth the hassle I would say. Also no idea whether the 32bit gadget will even work correctly w/ 64bit version of Avast.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 09:59:40 AM »
Try registering the 32-bit version of the AvastGUIProxy.dll library.

Somthing like

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastGUIProxy.dll"

(replace the path above with the actual avast installation path).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

TPXP

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 05:31:57 PM »
IT WORKS! Thank you so much, Vlk.