Author Topic: Avast 6.0's WebRep  (Read 31130 times)

Rafatxo

Re: Avast 6.0's WebRep
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 12:44:19 PM »
In Vista I have seen in "Add/Remove programs", that option "Change or repair". I prefer to do that , instead of desinstalling Avast and installing it back again.
I would not want to install, because I would have to register again and put a key to the program.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 12:46:14 PM »
In Vista I have seen in "Add/Remove programs", that option "Change or repair". I prefer to do that , instead of desinstalling Avast and installing it back again.
I would not want to install, because I would have to register again and put a key to the program.

That's also present in XP. Just scroll down the list in the installer.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Rafatxo

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 08:07:31 PM »
It does, add remove programs, avast, Change/Remove, from the next window scroll down to repair.
Well, it does that option. I have chosen "Repair" from the options, and then I have rebooted the computer. But nothing. When I open Google, and type something in the little box, results appear.
But it does not appear anything green next to the magnifying glasses of the results pages.

Rafatxo

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 08:43:47 PM »
It does, add remove programs, avast, Change/Remove, from the next window scroll down to repair.
Well, it does that option. I have chosen "Repair" from the options, and then I have rebooted the computer. But nothing. When I open Google, and type something in the little box, results appear.
But it does not appear anything green next to the magnifying glasses of the results pages.
Well, I will state my issue in another way?? Does anyone have XP with Avast 6.0?? How is its appearance?? How many tools do you have in menu "See"--"Tools bars"? I only have "Menus bar", "Favourites bar",
"Commands bar" and "State bar".

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 09:48:37 PM »
Well if you look at my signature you will see that I have XP Pro and avast 6.0 and whilst I no longer have the webrep installed on IE8 after testing it worked (which it did) I removed it as I don't use IE as my primary browser.

In your search results, whilst it might not show green bars it should show at least grey bars.

For this I installed it from the avastUI, Additional Protection, WebRep and that succeeded. If it doesn't and you don't see the avast! WebRep listed in the toolbars (see image1) it isn't installed.

Try the above to install it from within the avastUI - If that doesn't work check and ensure that the option to have the Web Reputation plugin checked. Same drill as for Repair but this time you are looking for Change, add remove programs, avast, Change/Remove, from the next window select Change, and ensure the Web Reputation plugin is checked (see image2), if not check it, clock Next and OK your way out.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rafatxo

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 12:51:15 PM »
Well if you look at my signature you will see that I have XP Pro and avast 6.0 and whilst I no longer have the webrep installed on IE8 after testing it worked (which it did) I removed it as I don't use IE as my primary browser.

In your search results, whilst it might not show green bars it should show at least grey bars.

For this I installed it from the avastUI, Additional Protection, WebRep and that succeeded. If it doesn't and you don't see the avast! WebRep listed in the toolbars (see image1) it isn't installed.

Try the above to install it from within the avastUI - If that doesn't work check and ensure that the option to have the Web Reputation plugin checked. Same drill as for Repair but this time you are looking for Change, add remove programs, avast, Change/Remove, from the next window select Change, and ensure the Web Reputation plugin is checked (see image2), if not check it, clock Next and OK your way out.

Well, I have done what you has said to me, and nothing happens. The Web Reputation plugin is checked, the WeBRep appears checked in "Additional protection" within Avast interface. In this module within Avast interface appear Internet Explorer checked and Mozilla unchecked. In "notification area" of XP or "Tasks bar", Tools bars appear. Avast WebRep appears among them, but I have not been able to check it or tick it. The others, yes.
In "Manage Add-ons", Avast WebRep also appears twice, and seeing the details they match with those of Vista.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 03:02:45 PM »
I don't know why the avast! WebRep is listed in the taskbar list of toolbars as it is never going to displayed there. Even if it were it couldn't do anything as the WebRep is hooked to the browser and indirectly to the sites.

I don't get the WebRep in the Toolbars list of the taskbar in XP Pro, but that is because I have the IE webrep uninstalled as I don't use IE as my default browser.

So what you are seeing here is classic, because IE is heavily integrated into the OS it is displaying this IE toolbar element, weird. If you unchecked/uninstall the webrep for IE in the Addirional Protection, WebRep section, you too wouldn't see the webrep listed in the taskbar toolbars list.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rafatxo

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 05:30:29 PM »
I don't know why the avast! WebRep is listed in the taskbar list of toolbars as it is never going to displayed there. Even if it were it couldn't do anything as the WebRep is hooked to the browser and indirectly to the sites.

I don't get the WebRep in the Toolbars list of the taskbar in XP Pro, but that is because I have the IE webrep uninstalled as I don't use IE as my default browser.

So what you are seeing here is classic, because IE is heavily integrated into the OS it is displaying this IE toolbar element, weird. If you unchecked/uninstall the webrep for IE in the Addirional Protection, WebRep section, you too wouldn't see the webrep listed in the taskbar toolbars list.
OK.
But, then I wouldn't see it anywhere, is it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 07:18:15 PM »
The fact that it isn't in the taskbar list doesn't stop it working/being in firefox. What that is showing is just how embedded IE is in your OS and that is what I hate about IE.

doktornotor

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 08:25:09 PM »
What that is showing is just how embedded IE is in your OS and that is what I hate about IE.

Yeah indeed. Should be possible for avast guys to prevent it from displaying there though, I just can't find the proper developer documentation ATM.

Rafatxo

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 11:37:13 AM »
What that is showing is just how embedded IE is in your OS and that is what I hate about IE.

Yeah indeed. Should be possible for avast guys to prevent it from displaying there though, I just can't find the proper developer documentation ATM.
Well, I have tried everything. I have uninstalled Avast plugin WebRep from Avast's interface (window), and then I have installed it back again, over and over, but nothing happens.
Couldn't it be that I should change some options in IE Tools menu? I don't know Smart Screen Filter, or Security Zone, and then "Places".??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 04:27:09 PM »
I'm now not really sure exactly it is that you are trying to achieve ?

e.g. remove the webrep completely, remove it from the toolbars list in the taskbar or what.

Rafatxo

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 08:46:46 PM »
I'm now not really sure exactly it is that you are trying to achieve ?

e.g. remove the webrep completely, remove it from the toolbars list in the taskbar or what.
Trying to find out why WebRep doesn't go.
The ultimate solution would be to uninstall Avast antivirus, and install it again to have WebRep going on. But, as I have examined everything (Manage add-ons, see C folder, see Avast interface(window)),run a repair of the program... and everything is alright, I want to know, as I said before, if there has something to do with IE Settings (InPrivate Filter, SmartScreen Filter, and so on).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 08:56:17 PM »
Doesn't go where ?

A repair won't work if the webrep isn't installed as it only deals with installed components.

You are talking to an IE philistine as I avoid it like the plague, so I can't help with any IE settings.

poutnik

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 10:53:18 PM »
My Avast 6 Free is not able to recognize installed Firefox at WEBREP setting tab ( Vista 64 Home Premium SP2 ).
Even after FF reinstalation and checked option to detect newly installed browser it still claims FF is not installed.
( "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" )