Author Topic: Avast 6.0's WebRep  (Read 30960 times)

poutnik

Re: Avast 6.0's WebRep
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2011, 07:09:50 AM »
Hm,

I am a big fun of Avast since Avast32, to which I migrated from AVG.

I agree every software has some users complaining all the time. So does it have rather overreactive defenders.
I think some of Derry's points in this topic are legitimate objections, and with some craigb's points I agree.

Webrep modul is questionable.
I am not commenting its functionality, not able to install it yet, wainting for official update.
I am not talking about building database, it is obvious.
But if standard instalation of Firefox makes him troubles to detect it, and if in other Windows instance it did not detect even Internet Explorer...
It seems funny. But not big deal for me.  It is fixed in incoming version and will be hopefully constantly improved.

Avast 6 as a whole is fine to me, or seems not to be rushed according to his stability and overall functionality.
But considering WEBREP is one of main features distinguishing it from Avast 5.1.......

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2011, 10:02:09 PM »
and WebRep seems to be down for me again.
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

YoKenny

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2011, 10:04:55 PM »
Working fine for me!  ;)

derry

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2011, 10:05:19 PM »
it's been down for almost a week for me. which for me is unacceptable...

YoKenny

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2011, 10:20:45 PM »
yeah seems to be down again
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2011, 10:28:12 PM »
Has not been right for me for days..off..on..off.
I dont' care though, the feature has no effect on security, so whatever. 8)

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2011, 11:11:26 PM »
Working fine for me!  ;)

ye its working now it seems, idk, its has very spotty service, turns on and off at random times
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

derry

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2011, 06:00:18 AM »
it's still down. what a joke what a joke....... :'(

Gargamel360

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2011, 06:51:11 AM »
it's still down. what a joke what a joke....... :'(

Don't cry!  Jokes are for laughing, not crying!.. ;)

jpmartin

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2011, 06:54:37 AM »
It's unstable at this point, you might as well uninstall the WebRep, and get mcfee siteadvisor; that's just my opinion  ;)

Gargamel360

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2011, 06:57:45 AM »
It's unstable at this point, you might as well uninstall the WebRep, and get mcfee siteadvisor; that's just my opinion  ;)

And deal with ratings that are possibly 6 months or more out of date, in the PC security world where threats change by the day, sometimes by the hour?

Pass, sorry, but I would rather replace WebRep with nothing

jpmartin

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2011, 07:14:21 AM »
It's unstable at this point, you might as well uninstall the WebRep, and get mcfee siteadvisor; that's just my opinion  ;)

And deal with ratings that are possibly 6 months or more out of date, in the PC security world where threats change by the day, sometimes by the hour?

That's not true at all, I had siteadvisor for like 3 month now and just check today it said is update to today....

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2011, 07:19:43 AM »

That's not true at all, I had siteadvisor for like 3 month now and just check today it said is update to today....

LOL.  That's if you actually believe that the site advisor accounts for anything.  It could have 100+ updates a day, if it is as worthless as it's accompanied A/V, there's no sense in actually using or believing it.  Case in point:  I have a computer in my home right now that's been infected by viruses 3 times in the last 2 months, all while having McAfee installed.  Finally got the ok from the unsuspecting client to install Avast instead because OBVIOUSLY mcafee wasn't working as well as it should have been.

Have fun with your site advisor.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

jpmartin

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2011, 07:37:36 AM »
well I got a promo of 1 year free from siteadvisor plus and I never have an issues with it....is free why not  ;D. Beside siteadvior is base on people rating is the samething with like Avast 6.0's WebRep. The important things is the firewall and the antivirus + antispyware preventing from get into your compuuter, and the user habit of searching doing with their computer.