Author Topic: Avast 6.0's WebRep  (Read 31131 times)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Avast 6.0's WebRep
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2011, 07:48:14 AM »
well I got a promo of 1 year free from siteadvisor plus and I never have an issues with it....is free why not  ;D. Beside siteadvior is base on people rating is the samething with like Avast 6.0's WebRep. The important things is the firewall and the antivirus + antispyware preventing from get into your compuuter, and the user habit of searching doing with their computer.

Just like most users of site advisor. Comes free with their ISP, computer, what-have-you.

Either way, it's all the same, just like WOT, Avast WebRep, and your "siteadvisor"...

It's nice and all, but the big problem still remains.  They're all USER based claims, which means users can fudge the results.  It can't and will not ever be replaced by and actual scan by a reputable A/V product.

Sure, it's nice to know that if 500 people visited a site and 485 of them reported the site as being a "bad" site, you might think that the site wasn't good.  It really remains to be seen though if the site is actually infected or is hosting bad information or not, or if it just has a bad reputation because a bunch of retards visited the site and didn't know what they were doing.

Anyway, these technologies are nice, and I welcome the addition of webrep to the avast family of products and wish it well.  I however, won't believe a darn thing that any company or software says (avast included) until I look at the code myself.

Again, enjoy your "site advisor" and believe what you want.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

jpmartin

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2011, 08:15:23 AM »
well I got a promo of 1 year free from siteadvisor plus and I never have an issues with it....is free why not  ;D. Beside siteadvior is base on people rating is the samething with like Avast 6.0's WebRep. The important things is the firewall and the antivirus + antispyware preventing from get into your compuuter, and the user habit of searching doing with their computer.

Just like most users of site advisor. Comes free with their ISP, computer, what-have-you.

Either way, it's all the same, just like WOT, Avast WebRep, and your "siteadvisor"...

It's nice and all, but the big problem still remains.  They're all USER based claims, which means users can fudge the results.  It can't and will not ever be replaced by and actual scan by a reputable A/V product.

Sure, it's nice to know that if 500 people visited a site and 485 of them reported the site as being a "bad" site, you might think that the site wasn't good.  It really remains to be seen though if the site is actually infected or is hosting bad information or not, or if it just has a bad reputation because a bunch of retards visited the site and didn't know what they were doing.

Anyway, these technologies are nice, and I welcome the addition of webrep to the avast family of products and wish it well.  I however, won't believe a darn thing that any company or software says (avast included) until I look at the code myself.

Again, enjoy your "site advisor" and believe what you want.

I totally agree with you  ;D  is not that I like site advisor, I just want it tries and see how good is the software itself that's all.  ;D ;D

YoKenny

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2011, 02:31:23 PM »
well I got a promo of 1 year free from siteadvisor plus and I never have an issues with it....is free why not  ;D. Beside siteadvior is base on people rating is the samething with like Avast 6.0's WebRep. The important things is the firewall and the antivirus + antispyware preventing from get into your compuuter, and the user habit of searching doing with their computer.
I had SiteAdvisor once and promptly removed it as it is worse than WOT.
I have even seen SiteAdvisor rate sites with known malware as safe! ::)

Please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then select your country in Please select your country: then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public? to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your yahoo.com email address.

Rafatxo

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2011, 04:48:43 PM »
My Avast 6 Free is not able to recognize installed Firefox at WEBREP setting tab ( Vista 64 Home Premium SP2 ).
Even after FF reinstalation and checked option to detect newly installed browser it still claims FF is not installed.
( "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" )
Well, I do not want to change navigator. I do not want to put Mozilla.
So, will I have to uninstall Avast 6.0 and install it again??

Rafatxo

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2011, 04:50:50 PM »
My Avast 6 Free is not able to recognize installed Firefox at WEBREP setting tab ( Vista 64 Home Premium SP2 ).
Even after FF reinstalation and checked option to detect newly installed browser it still claims FF is not installed.
What do you call "FF"? In "FF" reinstalation and "claims FF is not installed"? (Is it Firefox?)

poutnik

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2011, 05:45:20 PM »
What do you call "FF"? In "FF" reinstalation and "claims FF is not installed"? (Is it Firefox?)
To 1st Q: Your goal seems unclear to me, so unsure what to answer.
To 2nd Q: If it was not clear from context, I would explain it. :) I wonder what else alternative can come to mind. FF(Firefox) is almost as common abbreviation as IE(Internet Explorer).

Rafatxo

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2011, 12:39:57 PM »
To 1st Q: Your goal seems unclear to me, so unsure what to answer.
To 2nd Q: If it was not clear from context, I would explain it. :) I wonder what else alternative can come to mind. FF(Firefox) is almost as common abbreviation as IE(Internet Explorer).

¡Hello again!
Well, I forgot to say one thing. In Vista computer, apart from having WebRep , I had an Avast icon in the desktop. In Vista computer I have a Sidebar, and some gadgets (clock, calendar...) I can add or delete gadgets as I want. So, I had this Rightside Icon, for Sidebar I have placed on the right. Then, on starting my Vista computer, this icon used to appear inside Sidebar. Then, I deleted it . But in XP computer I haven't any Sidebars , neither any Avast icons have appeared.

doktornotor

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2011, 12:45:34 PM »
But in XP computer I haven't any Sidebars , neither any Avast icons have appeared.

Yes, that is normal. No sidebar -> no gadget in XP.

Rafatxo

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2011, 12:26:50 PM »
But in XP computer I haven't any Sidebars , neither any Avast icons have appeared.

Yes, that is normal. No sidebar -> no gadget in XP.
Well, at last I have managed to see WebRep's tool bar.
The problem was with "WinXP Manager". I have had to change some settings, related to Network (IE). Toolbars, BHOs, and so on. I had ticked the option to have Internet in Secure Mode (no third parties, or something like that).Then, I have had to untick this option. In BHOs, I could see that WebRep was there, and it said it was well . After changing IE properties and reboot the computer, the Avast WebRep toolbar has appeared. I also allowed Avast program to run within "Allowed programs" in Windows Firewall. Well, the thing is that I have WebRep now in XP.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:28:33 PM by Rafatxo »