Author Topic: Windows 7 Service pack 1 installed. Virus warning is a FALSE POSITIVE  (Read 59756 times)

doktornotor

Re: Windows 7 Service pack 1 installed. Virus warning is a FALSE POSITIVE
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2011, 08:56:45 AM »
#1 - I did not panic

Yeah, that's indeed #1.  ;)

abenol

« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2011, 10:01:23 AM »
Hi,

I've already every minute an warning after installing SP1.

Is there anyone who removed SP1? And what's the result, do you have stil the warnings?

Ab

Sparxx

« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2011, 10:07:41 AM »
Hi,

I've already every minute an warning after installing SP1.

Is there anyone who removed SP1? And what's the result, do you have stil the warnings?

Ab

I'm on SP1 from the first RTM leak, and i don't get this warning, really don't know what's happening for you, maybe it's somehow related to the localization ?
I'm from Moldova(Romanian localization).

Offline MrMaxaMan

« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2011, 10:47:21 AM »
I agree with the comments that you should put any files you are concerned about in the chest and not just delete them. The problem is Avast wouldn't let me put the file in the chest, no matter how many time I tried. So I had to delete it rather than let a potential virus through. Thankfully the file compiles again so no damage done.
Avast Free 20.3.2405 - Comodo 12.2.2.7036 Firewall with D+ - Winpatrol Free.
On demand - MBAM - Super Antispyware.
Windows 10 64bit - 16GB Ram.

EmmieShadow

I don't believe its SP1 for windows 7
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2011, 11:32:54 AM »
I updated my laptop with windows 7 SP1 on the 25th Feb so I don't believe its SP1 at all. I must say that I did notice that automatic updates for windows 7 did not even inform me that there was updates waiting for me to download/install even with all the tick boxes selected. I had to do it manually. These are the updates I had to install upon manually asking it check for updates.

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (KB976932)
Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB2495644)
Update for Windows 7 (KB2488113)
Update for Windows 7 (KB2502285)
Update for Windows 7 (KB2488113)
Update for Windows 7 (KB2484033)
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2485376)
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2479628)
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2475792)
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2425227)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 (KB2482017)

The only updates since 25th Feb are Microsoft Security Essentials.

Today I booted up and then disabled active shields control for hour whilst I played a game. I had a phone call from family asking if I had anything detected by avast, nothing had popped up but I decided to check in virus chest and there was the file everyone is talking about  mscorlib.ni.dll was detected today upon turning on laptop this morning 2nd march. Only things I have done today are update MS security essentials(Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.99.408.0)), run bit torrent to download a game, and load the game. So I have no idea where its come from.  I just thought I would mention this as I have had SP1 for win 7 since 25th feb without it being detected until today that is why I don't believe its that. Avast updated its virus definitions yesterday as I shut down for bed. So must be false alert by Avast.  

Offline bobby1981

« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2011, 11:38:13 AM »
Wow, turned my computer on today and avast! went absolutely mental.  Several Dell applications obviously use that file because I got several alerts pop up over and over again.  Closing them didn't work - literally 2 seconds later they re-appeared (also, why have you set them to always appear in front of everything?!  Damn annoying).  Clicking to send to chest didn't work - the same thing happened with them just re-appearing.  Also, how do you get ACCESS to the chest?  I don't see it anywhere.

Even disabling real-time didn't work!  Maybe because it had already detected them.  I had to just log out of Windows with them there and re-enter, which then seemed to recognise I'd turned the real-time off.  However I've tried to update definitions and I AM on the current set, so great, I've had to keep avast! disabled for now and am waiting for you to fix it for the rest of us.

What with this and the sidebar glitch of not properly closing unless you uninstall it I'm not as impressed with you lately.

Hermite15

« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2011, 12:02:51 PM »
Yeah I guess too many files from .net 4 possibly involved are detected as FPs, meaning that you can't easily exclude them from Avast, and you're better off disabling temporally the service.
I had no idea you were an avid user here, Logos.  Hey old buddy!

you got pm ;)

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2011, 05:56:45 PM »
I also don't have a problem with a pop-up. Just restored the file from the virus chest and added it to the exclusions. Job done.
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2011, 06:29:56 PM »
Nothing is needed to be restored from a back-up or an exclusion set, as the file is one that is created on the fly (doesn't exist in that location when not in use). So it will get recreated as and when necessary, which has been stated in this and many of the other topics relating to this file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security