Author Topic: re-registering Avast free  (Read 11158 times)

veegee

re-registering Avast free
« on: March 02, 2011, 06:51:39 AM »
Could someone please help me to re-register Avast free 6.0.1 ...I have been searching all evening how to do this.  In the process of trying everything, I accidentally upgraded to 6.0.1, but guess that is a good thing if it was stable enough for release.

I go to maintenance/registration and it says that I am registered and it is expired on
03/06/2011 (this does read as March 06/2011?) but there is not an option of where to register or re-register.

I don't want to let it expire and have no protection so would greatly appreciate some help.
Thank you.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: re-registering Avast free
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:46:53 AM »
will this help

On-line registration is very simple and it's the preferred method for all users of avast Free Antivirus 5.x installed on a computer with standard Internet connectivity. To perform on-line registration follow these steps:

http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=459

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:57:51 AM »
If avast is still in its registered period you wont have the register now tab, it should become visable once the license expires and then will ask you to re register, dont worrie your protection will still remain active for a few weeks after it expires.

mjt4283

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 04:10:20 PM »
I'm also having problem re-registering Avast free.

Avast free was installed on a computer I inherited, and I don't have the original installer's e-mail info. I'm getting notification that my registration will expire within days. I have just registered under a different e-mail, but my attempt to re-register did not seem to work. The registration expiration notification is still there.

Please help.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 06:00:55 PM »
I'm also having problem re-registering Avast free.

Avast free was installed on a computer I inherited, and I don't have the original installer's e-mail info. I'm getting notification that my registration will expire within days. I have just registered under a different e-mail, but my attempt to re-register did not seem to work. The registration expiration notification is still there.

Please help.
The best thing to do would be to download a fresh copy of avast and save then delet existing avast and reboot then install your fresh copy.

veegee

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 06:38:12 PM »
Pondus and craigb - Thank you for your help and prompt replies.
I thought I had to re register before expiry date, but am most releived with your info.  Will keep checking back to Avast on this.

Thanks again so much. 

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 07:14:54 PM »
Your welcome  :)

mjt4283

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 06:00:57 PM »
Thanks for the response. Is it necessary to uninstall my current copy before installing the fresh copy? Or, would installing the fresh copy automatically delete the current copy?

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 06:06:48 PM »
Thanks for the response. Is it necessary to uninstall my current copy before installing the fresh copy? Or, would installing the fresh copy automatically delete the current copy?

In this case You need to uninstall old one first  :)

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 06:36:14 PM »
Download new version first and save then uninstall current version and reboot then you can install new copy.

veegee

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 07:31:47 PM »
Sorry, back again!  My avast 6 free has me still listed as 'registered' even though it is 5 days past expiration date  (03/06/2011) and it is still working.   I have never received a reminder that it soon would expire and to register and there is still no box to 'register' in the avast user interface.  Could this be some kind of glitch in avast 6?  Time is marching on and I don't want to all of a sudden have no protection.  Could someone enlighten me as to what might be happening here and what I can do??

If I uninstall avast 6, do I need an uninstall tool to completely remove it?
Thanks in advance
Windows 7, Home Premium

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 07:39:06 PM »
That rather depends on if the expiration date is 03 June 2011 or March 06 2011, so if it is still working and you are able to get virus definition updates, then I would say it is 03 June 2011.

When did you last register as this would be related to your last version of avast ?

Reminders should start to happen from 14 days to go to expiry.

Don't do anything for now.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:40:59 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

veegee

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 09:00:33 PM »
The Avast interface reads:   
Current reg. will expire on   03/06/2011
Date of registration          03/06/2010

These dates present a confusion...would help if they could use a month abbreviation or something as some put the day first and others put the month first!!

Thanks for your response DavidR.  I will do as you advise.

PS -If memory serves me rightly, I don't remember of ever having to re-register Avast since it was origionally registered when installed in Oct. 27/09.
I think I would have remembered that or made a notation of it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 09:09:07 PM »
You had to re-register the free/home version every year, so you would certainly have to have done it at least once.

Depending on how you installed avast 5 in 2010 (when), if installation over the top it would have transferred the existing avast 4.8 registration information (expiry and registration dates). If you did a clean install of avast 5 (first uninstalling 4.8 and rebooting) then it would have done a registration via the avastUI.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline SpockFan94

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 03:29:43 AM »
My current registration expiration date will expire on March 8th, 2014. I have 144 days left before it expires. Is it OK to renew my license before it expires less than 100 days? Or will it be a program update for version 9 for renewing all registration expiration dates?