Author Topic: Is this an avast! problem?  (Read 7228 times)

fannymites

Is this an avast! problem?
« on: September 14, 2004, 02:17:00 AM »
I have never had any problems with avast! in the 6 months I've been using it but a few days ago I switched to XP from Win98 and suddenly I'm getting disconnected every time avast tries to auto-update.  
After days of connection trouble I suddenly realised that every single time I got disconnected, I got a pop-up message from avast telling me there was an error while updating and that the server is down.
If I turn off avast's auto-update feature I don't have any connection problems.  I'm using the same firewall (Kerio 2) as I was with Win98 so I don't think that is causing any trouble but just in case, has anyone had problems with the avast/Kerio combination on WinXP?
I have re-installed avast and Kerio and I just don't know what the problem is.  
I have always set avast to automatically update and I would prefer to keep doing it that way.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Is this an avast! problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 02:22:26 AM »
Did you upgrade from 98 to XP or did you do a clean install from a full XP installation cd?

It is a known fact that when upgrading not everything goes/works as told/expected.

Have you also tried a repair/reinstall of Avast?

fannymites

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 02:29:50 AM »
I upgraded.  So far I haven't had any problems other than the avast! update problem and this is solved by setting it to manual updates.
It's just that I would rather have auto-updates.  After I first encountered the problem I uninstalled and reinstalled avast! but it's the same.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 02:33:59 AM »
What is Avast's log file saying?
Have you checked the event and system log files for errors/problems?

fannymites

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 02:45:13 AM »
These are the most recent entries from avast's log.  I have to say I don't really know what it is telling me, maybe someone else knows?

Code: [Select]
package   ERROR:HttpGetWinsock, WinsockTcpConnect() returned 0x00002AF9
general   InvalidateCurrent: invalidated server 'Download4 AVAST server' from 'main'
general   SelectCurrent: unable to find any suitable server in 'main'
internet   tried 9 servers to get file 'servers.def', but failed (0x20000004)
package   Tried to download servers.def but failed with error 0x20000004.
general   Err:Server download4.avast.com (unknown:80) is down.

fannymites

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 02:54:32 AM »

There are countless warnings about avast in the event viewer either just saying avast encountered a problem while trying to update or occasionaly there is this entry -
Code: [Select]
function setifaceUpdatePackages[] has failed.  Return code is 0x20000004, dwRes is 20000004Again, I don't understand what it means.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 08:30:15 AM »
If you upgraded your OS from Win98 to XP, I guess you'll have to reinstall avast (in fact it should detect the OS change and tell you so -- hasn't it?)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

fannymites

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 06:29:55 AM »
I am still getting these problems with avast, it is happening with both manual and automatic updating.  Occasionaly, a manual update will get through but mostly I lose the connection.

I have been experimenting today and on 3 seperate occasions I tried updating avast, once after surfing for an hour, again after surfing for 45 minutes and a third time after surfing for an hour and a half and all three times my connection was cut off as soon as I tried to update avast.
I am getting the same error messages I posted in my earlier post and despite searching on the internet, I can't find out what they mean.

Avast is the only program on my computer giving me any trouble.
I have tried re-installing avast (after using Regseeker to remove all traces of it from the registry) on 3 occasions, re-downloading it each time and I have tried the repair option and nothing is working.

Up until now I haven't had any troubles with avast and I think it is a great program but if I can't sort out this problem or at least find out what the errors mean I will have to switch to another AV program, which I really don't want to do.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 06:52:44 AM »
What version of Avast is do you have?
Right click the blue ball > choose "about Avast"

fannymites

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 07:07:02 AM »
avast! version 4.1 Home Edition
Build: June 2004 (4.1.418)
Xtreme Toolkit version: 1.9.40
Updates Expiration November 2005

I have just tried updating avast after disabling my firewall (Kerio 2) and it updated fine with no problems and no disconnection.
I could have just got lucky but could Kerio be causing my problems?
They worked fine together in Win98 though and I have allowed avast full permission.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2004, 07:17:39 AM »
It usre looks like Kerio is the problem here. Make sure you have it configured correctly for Avast. Check Kerio's log file to see what part of Avast is blocked and give it permission. This should solve the problem.

fannymites

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2004, 07:26:17 AM »
That's the thing, when I started having the update problems I set full acess for avast and also set kerio to give me an alert pop-up and to log the rule but every time avast updates I get the pop-up saying avast was allowed to connect and the log shows that avast was permitted but it disconnects a a second or so after the pop-up appears.

fannymites

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2004, 07:29:56 AM »
I've backed up my Kerio configuration and I'm going to try another firewall for a while to see if it is a problem with Kerio or not.
If that is the case, I'd much rather use a different firewall rather than give up avast.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2004, 07:36:53 AM »
Good luck and keep us informed of any change/progress

fannymites

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2004, 05:32:16 AM »
Well I spent the day using Sygate firewall and didn't get any problems.
Avast checked for updates normally, both manually and automatically and I didn't get disconnected once.
So it seems it is definately a problem with the Kerio/Avast combo, on my computer at least.
I really prefer using Kerio so I have now re-installed it and am being disconnected when Avast tries to update again. I am currently fiddling around with the rules to see if I can solve this problem.
I'm just wondering if anyone at all can explain what the errors mean in my earlier post because I am still getting them.