Author Topic: Not able to get on the internet  (Read 5019 times)

tangstead

Not able to get on the internet
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:09:52 AM »
I have used Avast anti virus free for several months. Last week I could not get on the internet. I opened explorer and it started and never connected. I got a message after several hours that there was a problem. :'( After trying many things. I decided to uninstall avast. My internet worked right away. I had no problems with avast until then. I reinstalled avast and my internet did not work again. I love avast and want to use it but I don't know how to fix this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Not able to get on the internet
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »
What avast version are you using 5.x or 6.0 ?

What Operating System are you using ?

What is your firewall ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tangstead

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:03:46 PM »
I think it is 5. My system is xp. and the firewall is windows.

Offline IvanM

• Avast team
  • Senior Project Manager
    • Avast Software a.s.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 05:06:51 PM »
I have used Avast anti virus free for several months. Last week I could not get on the internet. I opened explorer and it started and never connected. I got a message after several hours that there was a problem. :'( After trying many things. I decided to uninstall avast. My internet worked right away. I had no problems with avast until then. I reinstalled avast and my internet did not work again. I love avast and want to use it but I don't know how to fix this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,
which version of IE are you using ?
Thanks for your answer.

tangstead

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 05:12:19 PM »
Thank you for your reponse. Explorer 8

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 06:22:24 PM »
Well the windows XP firewall provides zero outbound protection so that shouldn't get in the way.

If you right click on the avast tray icon and select about avast it should tell you which version it is.

You don't have to disable avast as that leaves you with no protection, you could disable the avast Web Shield as that is most likely the effected shield.
-  also see Cause for apparent Web Shield blocking internet connection, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57443.0.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tangstead

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »
I have Avast 6.0. I turned the web shield off and my internet works. I did install spybot and unistalled it from its uninstall source. ??? I guess I will have to install another anti virus to be safe.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 07:26:37 PM »
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Please, answer this.

I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

Nesivos

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 07:34:05 PM »
Your IE may have been hijacked thus preventing the connection.

Avast may be blocking the IE8 from connecting to the Net because of the hijack.

Try booting XP in the "Safe Mode with Networking"

Then try and connect with IE8.

If you can then I suggest that you download Firefox.  Then reboot into the normal mode and try and connect to the Net using Firefox.

You could also try and clean up IE8 temp files, cache, cookies etc and disable IE8 addons and see if you can connect.

IE8 is not a safe product to use.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 07:39:53 PM »
I have Avast 6.0. I turned the web shield off and my internet works. I did install spybot and unistalled it from its uninstall source. ??? I guess I will have to install another anti virus to be safe.

Well spybot S&D isn't an anti-virus but an anti-spyware and one that appears to be in conflict with avast of late.

So you shouldn't be looking for another anti-virus but another anti-spyware, and MBAM or SAS both work well with avast as the free versions are on-demand scanners.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it periodically, weekly/fortnightly.

Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.

We really do need that question about previous AVs installed on this system as that can be a major cause of conflict.