Author Topic: Avast 6 Free and smb problem  (Read 26669 times)

SplittingDistant

Re: Avast 6 Free and smb problem
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 01:24:48 PM »
Can anyone from Avast comment on my findings that any backups / folder / file copies made whilst Avast was misbehaving may be incomplete as Avast was blocking some files or folders from being copied / archived / backed up, in addition to the known issue involving missing files / folders  when accessed by media servers such as WDTV Live?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 02:43:43 PM by SplittingDistant »

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 01:25:57 PM »
do you use free/pro or is?

SplittingDistant

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 01:28:04 PM »
PK,

The free version.

stduc

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2011, 02:20:02 PM »
stduc: it's fixed in beta version; new official version is going to be released very soon (maybe today), so you can wait

If it's going to be released in the next 48 hours I'll wait.

Does this issue effect all versions of windows or just XP?

SplittingDistant

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 02:45:26 PM »
stduc,

It happened under Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit for me.

SplittingDistant.

PS Did you make copies / backups while the files were "missing"?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 02:48:54 PM by SplittingDistant »

stduc

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 11:25:31 AM »
Updated to v6.0.1091 this morning. BOTH machines - Win 7 and XP needed the update before the problem was resolved. Win 7 could always see all files on the XP machine but updating the XP machine achieved nothing it wasn't until the Win 7 machine was updated that the XP machine could see all the files shared.

SplittingDistant

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 07:58:35 PM »
Well I have to say I've lost confidence in Avast as a result of this issue - especially as Avast have failed to confirm or deny that user files backup / security copies could have been made incomplete by this bug.

I can't risk losing my cherished files and if I continue to use Avast I'll always be concerned that it could happen again and I'd never know until I needed to recover files from my back up - only to find that 1/3 of them hadn't been backed up (exactly what happened to me last week).

I need to have confidence in my chosen Anti-virus solution, and as a result of this issue I no longer feel confident using Avast, so I'm off to AV pastures new.

stduc

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2011, 08:43:30 PM »
Sorry to hear that, though I 100% understand your reasons. If I can have my 2 cents worth though I would urge you to think very carefully. I have used most AntiVirus software over the years and I feel obliged to say that although Avast has its problems, so do they all. The Avast team though, in my experience are the fastest to respond and quickest to fix issues I have ever come across. I suspect they can't answer your concerns because they can't replicate your issue with any degree of confidence. I assume you are backing up over a network? I don't recall you saying exactly what your problem was.