Author Topic: AIS and uTorrent Problem?  (Read 11969 times)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: AIS and uTorrent Problem?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 09:35:23 AM »

Why do you need an official word if you do not encounter any problems?

I have little trust in myself. Seeing that others have problems I must be doing something wrong. Unfortunately that's not even meant to be funny.  :o

I see. But trust Avast then.
If you don't run into problems, then everything should be okay.
You are running Avast version 6.0.1091 I presume?

There are 125 million Avast users worldwide. If some 10 or even 20 post problems to anything, it is most probably due to their specific system setup / configuration.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:39:43 AM by Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail) »
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

gilmour

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 07:43:41 PM »

Why do you need an official word if you do not encounter any problems?

I have little trust in myself. Seeing that others have problems I must be doing something wrong. Unfortunately that's not even meant to be funny.  :o

Sounds like you have uTorrent and AIS firewall setup fine. If you have have the green network tick in uTorrent when you are dowbloading torrents then your obviously doing it right.
As far as I'm aware there isn't a problem setting up uTorrent and AIS firewall.

The known problem with uTorrent and AIS firewall is probably(guessing) something similar to why uTorrent checking is switched off in the p2p module. It's not something that happens
every time you run uTorrent it usually only happens when you have maybe 6+ torrents downloading at once and you will definitely know when it happens because your whole system starts
stuttering and becoming unresponsive, mouse movement becomes jerky and your whole system just bogs down.
I watch a lot of video on my PC and you can always tell when the problem is starting because the audio starts to stutter quite badly and you know you have about 20 seconds to shutdown
uTorrent or it gets so bad the mouse becomes unresponsive and you will have to do a cold boot.
It's an issue that still occurs in AIS 6.0.1091 and the only way to make sure it doesn't happen is to uninstall the firewall module. Using the Win7 firewall works perfect.
Before using Avast AIS I was running ESET Security and I never had a problem with that so I hope they can fix this issue soon as I hate paying for a product I can't use.

AIS 6.0.1091, Win7 x64
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:59:55 PM by gilmour »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 08:44:55 PM »
yes 1091 AIS and 2x AV, can't afford a signature yet to put it in  :'(

Can you explain that to me...? What do you mean by "and 2x AV"?
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

mantra

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 03:39:31 PM »
No, uTorrent has been unchecked by default for some considerable time because of the way it works, creating lots of small files forces avast to scan all these small parts and could impact on performance.
That's true.

It is not selected in File Shield but has to be selected in P2P SHIELD SETTINGS.

Read Vlk's post:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30011.msg247365#msg247365
but there is winmx  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
utorrent is the more used p2p program

reesd

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 07:00:06 PM »
I brought up procman (Process Monitor) to find that AvastSvc.exe was constantly reading an ISO I was seeding. And I do mean constantly. The procman file summary shows AvastSvc.exe has 4.2GB Bytes Read in the ten minutes I ran procmon on that one ISO file alone. The ISO file is 2G, but its still double the size of a file in ten minutes.
It seems to be the P2P Shield. Stopping it eventually stops all the AvastSvc.exe reading.

I really don't know exactly what the P2P Shield does. The help is really sparse on what the P2P shield does. Basically just "checks files downloaded using common peer-to-peer (file sharing) programs".
I still also would like to know what P2P does. If its documented somewhere or in the forums, I haven't found it. How is it different than File System Shield? Does it do downloads or uploads as well? Etc?
Essentially it does the equivalent of the web shield (scans http traffic) but for p2p traffic streams. The idea being to prevent it getting on to your system.

That is what I would have expected, but as I mentioned in my original post that is not what it seems to be doing. It seems to be acting at the file system level (also?), hence the 50G of reading it did in an hour alone against that one ISO file. So I think it stays off for good.

Maybe my expectations are too high for Avast's help. As someone with a sysadmin background I am not happy without knowing what a system tool does to my system. Especially one that injects itself into everything (as an AV should). Perhaps the help is targeted to users who don't know about these things and don't care. And since I am using this on a personal machine (and for free so far) that is all I can ask for. But I would never deploy it in an enterprise without better descriptions of its behavior (but that is not what I do anymore so you are not losing any enterprise contracts from me :). And for my personal use, I guess will continue to procman to ferret out what avast really does and exclude/disable accordingly.

Thanks for all the tips and help,
d