Author Topic: Keep losing my internet connection  (Read 3827 times)

kaffrarian

Keep losing my internet connection
« on: February 20, 2011, 07:22:40 PM »
I recently changed from Norton to Avast Internet Security.  Removed Norton using the Norton Removal Tool.  Installed AVAST and have been doing OK, except that every so often I lose my internet connection and revert to "local only".  It is like an electricity trip switch.  Sometimes I have a lengthy session before this happens, othertimes it does it almost immediately.  Sometimes it reconnects itself, other times I have to restart the router.

What is going on?  I like the AVAST programme and am sure there is just something that needs tweaking.  I have Windows firewall switched off.

Please advise.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Keep losing my internet connection
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 07:48:23 PM »
a shot in the dark......

clean up with CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
clean registry with Eusing free http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

if it does not work, then you still got rid if some old files you dont need     ;)

kaffrarian

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 10:01:16 PM »
 ???
I don't think it is that at all.  I think it is firewall related, or maybe something to do with the network settings - what about that allow automatic profile changes in network settings?
Sometimes my computer just purrs along, the I start getting these losses of connections.
And it drives me nuts!!!

sded

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:13:03 PM »
What zone are you in?  Anything in the firewall log?  Does your router have a firewall, or just NAT?  Are you familiar with Wireshark?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:18:28 PM by sded »

kaffrarian

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 07:21:44 AM »
Zone: GMT +2
Router has NAT & Firewall.
Nothing significant in firewall log.
Wireshark? No, haven't heard of that.

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 04:13:42 AM »

In the avast GUI Settings, what do you have checked in Update Parameters and Proxy Settings?

kaffrarian

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 10:58:23 AM »
Under Update Parameters - nothing
Under Proxy settings - auto-detect

However - I think this problem was with my ISP and co-incidentally occurred after installing AVAST, because since the beginning of the month I have had no problems at all.  Maybe the ISP does a reboot at the end of the month?  Strange, but so far things seem ok....