Author Topic: 'Chromium' shortcut on Desktop opens SafeZone Browser outside SafeZone.  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
My sixth upgrade of AIS 5.1.889 to 6.0.1000 on XP SP3 has added a 'Chromium' shortcut to the Desktop which opens the SafeZone Browser but not in the SafeZone.

Why? And/or why only on this PC?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:59:37 PM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
It would seem no-one else got this then.

Hermite15

no I haven't seen that, but from what you describe there's definitely a possible bug. There shouldn't even be any "sz" chromium shortcut on the desktop in the first place.

edit: okay now I realize (I'm not on a system with Avast right now) that you can indeed start chromium outside the safe zone, from the chromium executable found in avast program files. I've done that before, not really a problem. Chromium is chromium, if you need the SZ, then start it from where it's meant to be started. No big deal if there's a chromium shortcut "outside", it's not SZ bound anymore, that's normal.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 02:16:10 PM by Logos »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
I have never seen any Chromium icon on desktop except inside SafeZone itself.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I have never seen any Chromium icon on desktop except inside SafeZone itself.
I've got the icon once... I can't remember why. I just delete the icon... Didn't worry that much...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Hi Guys
I'm not worried about it for me, just puzzled as to why and concerned in case it was also happening for other people (which doesn't seem to be the case given the almost complete lack of response to my first post) who might think that it opened the safezone browser virtualized when it does not.

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
no I haven't seen that, but from what you describe there's definitely a possible bug. There shouldn't even be any "sz" chromium shortcut on the desktop in the first place.

edit: okay now I realize (I'm not on a system with Avast right now) that you can indeed start chromium outside the safe zone, from the chromium executable found in avast program files. I've done that before, not really a problem. Chromium is chromium, if you need the SZ, then start it from where it's meant to be started. No big deal if there's a chromium shortcut "outside", it's not SZ bound anymore, that's normal.

Hi Logos,

Is that means, if we create a shortcut and then put in the desktop are not running with safezone protection anymore?

cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya