Author Topic: Updating: The Package Is Broken?  (Read 5310 times)

Glass_Eye

Updating: The Package Is Broken?
« on: January 17, 2011, 12:49:25 AM »
Today I noticed that Avast( The free version) said that my system is not fully protected. Now worried a bit by this, I clicked and couldn't find anything wrong. Nothing infected or alerting me and when I open it up it tells me my system is secured. The only thing I noticed that was wrong is that I am currently at version 5.0.677. When I tried to update the version, it told me the update had failed because the package was broken. I don't understand.

Any help is appreciated.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Updating: The Package Is Broken?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 12:56:04 AM »
Today I noticed that Avast( The free version) said that my system is not fully protected. Now worried a bit by this, I clicked and couldn't find anything wrong. Nothing infected or alerting me and when I open it up it tells me my system is secured. The only thing I noticed that was wrong is that I am currently at version 5.0.677. When I tried to update the version, it told me the update had failed because the package was broken. I don't understand.

Any help is appreciated.

Hello Glass_Eye and welcome;

Could you please follow these instructions to install the latest version of Avast.

If you have had v.4.8 installed or v.5.0 or 5.1(beta) and had issues with the functioning of the version or an install of a newer version over top did not work properly, there is a possibility of File corruption. I have found this process to be extremely effective in many situations. Consider executing a ‘Clean Install’ using this format.
 I recommend you follow these instruction in the order they are presented

Please download the latest official version of Avast (5.1.889) for the product you need and save it to your HDD:   

Free AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe       
        Pro AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe       
        Internet Security: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe

Then please download aswClear5.exe (Clean up Utility) http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your hard drive where you can access it easily.
First IN NORMAL MODE, Please go to Start/Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs and choose Avast and click Change/Remove, and then Uninstall from the options listed. Once the uninstall process is completed, Reboot your computer and when up and running, Reboot again, this time into 'SAFE MODE' and find the (aswClear5.exe) download you saved to your hard drive and run the Clean up tool. Make sure you first choose the version from the list supplied in the tool that you want to cleanup and then run the tool by choosing Uninstall; your computer will automatically reboot. Once up and running in Normal Mode, follow the NOTE BELOW, before finally installing the latest version of Avast you saved to your hard drive.
Remember,  if you have had more then one version of Avast installed on your computer, you need to choose the version in the Clean up tool that you have had installed on your system one at a time. If you have had both v.4 and v.5.0 installed, then you need to follow the ‘safe mode’ process twice; once for each version separately.

If you have any other problems please let us know. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 01:30:06 AM »
First try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You may need to reboot after this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Glass_Eye

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:29:16 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. It seems, however, that when I restarted my computer it updated fine. Should I still attempt a fix?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 03:35:34 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. It seems, however, that when I restarted my computer it updated fine. Should I still attempt a fix?

If everything is working fine for you, why mess with things that work. ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 03:48:14 AM »

Leave it as it is if it is now working, just keep it in mine for the future if you have the problem, first reboot, if no joy, repair and reboot, if still no joy, reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Syntec4

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:41:08 AM »
I have the same issue again :(. How do I get a copy of my License file? I have the receipt email but the download link is no longer valid. I have emailed Avast with no response. I don't want to remove the software if a cannot re-install and activate the license I have paid for.

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 12:48:20 PM »
I have emailed Avast with no response.
Try
The best things in life are free.

Syntec4

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 11:40:27 AM »
Thanks, I did. Got a new download link  :).

Re-installed and it's back up a running again. I wonder how long it will last this time.  >:(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 12:46:37 PM »
Re-installed and it's back up a running again.
You're welcome.
The best things in life are free.