Author Topic: avast free conflict with lavasoft ad-aware?  (Read 18966 times)

Offline sooners2win

Re: avast free conflict with lavasoft ad-aware?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 07:36:46 AM »
yes, for sure run the registry cleaner from ccleaner after you unistalled ad aware, you may have left over entries that could affect you.
a6750f, amd phenom 9650quad core processor 2.30Ghz, Ram 8GB, Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2,Avast7 Free,Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Ccleaner, FF3.6.14,Google Chrome.

2nd base

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 08:01:51 AM »
i rebooted after the uninstallation process. aw now avast is still stuck at the same time period/file size. it doesn't go through the whole scan! would uninstalling and reinstalling it be a good idea, or would i just be exposing my laptop to more problems? :(
It might help as ad aware could have damaged avast in some way, uninstall avast and reboot then look in program files and program data for any alwil/avast leftovers and delet,good time to run ccleaner is now, when done reinstall avast.
Get rid of spybot if you have as well before installing avast.

since quite a lot of people are recommending MBAM, i'm going to give it a try :) however, is CC cleaner a safe program to install? i've used it before but apart from cleaning out my temp files i didn't much with it.

With CCleaners registry cleaner you should be careful. Don't just assume it needs to be "fixed" just because CCleaner says so. You'll have the option to back up what you change if you choose to just go through and check everything.

SafeSurf

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 12:03:48 PM »
Agree with the above.  You're getting a lot of suggestions and may be overwhelmed.  To make it simple:

1.  Uninstall Ad-aware via the vendor's uninstaller tool and reboot.

2.  Uninstall Spyboot and reboot:
- Uninstall Spybot S&D w/Teatimer: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html.
- How to disable Spybot-S&D (temporarily).  http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/disable.html .  Even though it says temporarily, the resident parts of SpyBot Search & Destroy must be enabled manually if disabled in this manner.  TeaTimer doesn't load into memory at all when disabled.

3. Run CCleaner for both cleaning and registry cleaning.  Make a back up of registry fix in Documents or USB temporarily.

4.  Download and install MBAM (Malwarebytes).

5.  Uninstall and do a clean install of Avast (see steps 1 - 9 below):

1. Save a copy of Avast 6.0.1000 and save it to your HDD if you haven't already:
Free:    http://files.avast.com/files/avast6final/setup_av_free.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all Avast versions and products).
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  If you had previous versions of Avast on this machine, uninstall all versions of Avast at this time.
6. Reboot.  Run CCleaner after reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy for Free:
    Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Reboot your machine again and when all is working properly, download a defrag tool.  There are several good ones out there; one was mentioned as well as free Puran defrag, which has a boot-time defrag as well as a regular defrag http://www.puransoftware.com/.

Let us know how this works for you.

Daris

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 07:22:54 PM »
Before you uninstal Avast 6, I would try a simple right click on drive C > Properties > Tools> Check Volume for errors...Sometimes if the computer is not configured properly and if there is errors things don't run right...Also The free version of Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware go very well with Avast Been using the free versions of both for about 3 or 4 years never an issue...Hoping to update to the paid version of one of them to get top Quality protection...Still trying to deceide which one, as both are awesome with Avast....I'm also using Spybot with Avast for now and been using it for ever, No isses with Avast at all...on Windows XP..And I don't think there should be issues with Adaware and Avast for my brother has been using it on Windows 7 with no probs....Again try a Check Volume for errors...Smetimes some services are stopped or stop working or programs disable some services and than other things don't work right...Also check your Event viewer Administrative Tools > Event viewer > Application also System....Any errors wiill tell you the System isn't configured correctly and some services have been stopped.....Luck and update us when you can... 

karlamesina

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 11:50:34 AM »
hey thanks everyone! you're right, i've been getting a lot of good tips and suggestions left and right. not that i'm complaining, so. :)

i've already downloaded CC cleaner and had run it after i uninstalled avast. then i reinstalled it and started the scan. i haven't done a full scan yet but cc cleaner seems to have done the trick--the avast scan no longer stops automatically at 14.7gb nor does the program get turned off all of a sudden. i've downloaded MBAM too already but i have yet to install it.

for defragmentation,  i just usually run the system tools defrag that comes with windows 7. what's the difference between that and other defrag tools out there?

thanks again for all your help!

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 01:36:27 PM »
for defragmentation,  i just usually run the system tools defrag that comes with windows 7. what's the difference between that and other defrag tools out there?
Windows 7 does a good job of defragging all by itself.
How Windows 7 handles disk defragmenting
http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2009/01/26/how-windows-7-handles-disk-defragmenting 

karlamesina

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
hmm okay now i can't register my avast 6 free. is something the matter with the system, or is it because i've registered before and had reinstalled avast so now i can't register again?

Daris

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 04:50:37 PM »
You should be able to register again after you have installled Avast....Also I myself use Spybot S&D with Avast I also Use Spywareblaster and never had issues with this combo....Also I download all my software programs from CNET.COM...There they show you user ratings and User opinions that have tried certain software... Been using them for about 3 years or so...Spywareblaster updates about once a week and is not a scanner, very light and doesn't consume any resources...protects you from malicious active X and all kinds of malicious sites..Malwarebytes is very good ....for now I use it as a "Free second opinion scanner"....So It doesn't give me any protection unless I update to the Paid version....Which I plan to do in the future....Luck and safe surfing....

SafeSurf

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 08:25:24 AM »
@ karlamesina,

Glad to hear that CCleaner helped your Avast situation out. :D

To register your Avast Free online: http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php

Most of us here, and those of us who assist in malware removal use MBAM as an on-demand scanner (Free version) or resident (Pro version - one-time payment).  MBAM is much more reliable over some other programs mentioned previously, and our resident Malware Removal Expert also recommends it.  MBAM will not conflict with Avast either.  If using the Pro version of MBAM, put MBAM in Avast exclusions under Settings and under the Real-Time Shields > Expert Settings > Exclusions > Add > Browse (enter MBAM).

Let us know if you have any additional questions.  Thank you.

karlamesina

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 02:41:24 PM »
thanks again for all the help. i'm scanning with MBAM now even as i type this reply.

i was able to register my Avast 6 again (thank God, because i really didn't want to switch to another anti-virus program when my registration period expires), i think there was just some temporary glitch because the register now button shows only the upgrade to pro option. but now it's all cool. i was able to run a full scan on Avast with no problems and no automatic aborts. just a clarification--i don't have to exclude MBAM from the Avast real time shields because i'm just using the free version anyway right?

thanks! :)

YoKenny

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 03:20:49 PM »
i don't have to exclude MBAM from the Avast real time shields because i'm just using the free version anyway right?
That's correct.  :)