Author Topic: Avast 6 free edtion and computer lock-up  (Read 18688 times)

MRL

Avast 6 free edtion and computer lock-up
« on: March 03, 2011, 07:06:55 PM »
I know this problem has been identified by numerous users under various threads but for ease of reference, I thought a new thread would help - I have XP(sp3)on my desktop computer, and have been using Avast version 5.1.889 without any problems whatsoever. I tried to update to version 6 in various ways, but always with the same result, i.e. my computer locking up after logging on and before every startup program has loaded -(even Alt-Ctrl-Del) does not work - I have to do a manual shut down.
I've tried to update through the version 5 module, as well as do a clean install of version 6. In both cases, the lockup occurs. In each case, I've uninstalled both versions (having to do it in safe mode) prior to reinstalling version 6. I called support - the only thing they told me to do was do a clean install (I did and it obviously does not work).
I've decided to reinstall and stay with version 5 until such time as there is clear evidence in this forum that the problem has been fixed by Avast - I will surely not upgrade to the pro version nor to version 6 until then.
I've always used SAS, and Zonealarm as a firewall. My reading of the various threads is that the lock up problem is not particular to a conflict with Zonealarm or SAS.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast 6 free edtion and computer lock-up
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:31:26 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

Mele20

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 10:17:45 AM »
Did you read the OP's post? He said he ALREADY tried a clean install and it didn't help. He still experienced a total lockup of his computer and, like me, could NOT even bring up Task Manager.

I was told to do a clean install after Avast 6 completely locked my Vista Ultimate computer and WIPED OUT LOGIN. Task Manager could not even be brought up because that is accessed on the login window and Avast had obliterated the login window. The ONLY reason I did not have to reformat the computer was because I had long ago unhidden the hidden default admin account and was thrown into it when LOGIN was wiped out after Avast rebooted the computer.

I mention my problem here only to illustrate that telling people to do a clean install as a solution for a serious problems is only sometimes helpful and certainly not helpful here where the OP has already tried it. (I didn't do a clean install. I am scared to try that after what happened to me).

SakisK

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Soryy I said this, but Avast 6.0 was a disaster for my PC.

I had the same problems and I spent many hours to find finally that Avast was the problem, not only for me but for many people

See... the last user reviews from Cnet
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3640-2239_4-10019223.html

I was using Avast for many years and I was a warm supporter... until now.

Sakis

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 12:21:03 PM »
@ MRL,

1.   What version of Avast did you install?   
2.   What product of Avast did you install?  Free?
3.   What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software

- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or  another way)?

You stated that you use ZA FW, however some users have experienced conflicts with this in the past with some of their updates (not recently).

When you did your uninstalls, did you also uninstall v.5.0, 5.1, and 6.0?  If not, these versions are still on your machine.  There is a new Avast Uninstaller tool now.  Did you use that installer or the old one?  This is the new Uninstaller: http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe

Also, v. 6.0 installs in a different place on your machine than all prior versions of Avast; this might explain Mele20 login situation.

To those of you having specific problems, please open up or continue with your thread and we would be happy to assist you.  Thank you.

TomN

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 06:06:59 PM »
@ MRL,

When you did your uninstalls, did you also uninstall v.5.0, 5.1, and 6.0?  If not, these versions are still on your machine.  There is a new Avast Uninstaller tool now.  Did you use that installer or the old one?  This is the new Uninstaller: http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe.  

Also, v. 6.0 installs in a different place on your machine than all prior versions of Avast; this might explain Mele20 login situation.

I'm somewhat confused as to your statement. IF you updated to 6 from 5 their should only be one version on the computer. Here is a question posed to Avast Support.

Is it necessary to uninstall previous versions of avast! before installing avast! 6.x ?

This from Avast Support:
You don't actually need to do anything to uninstall previous versions of avast!, because the avast! 6.x installation program is able to detect the existing installation of avast! and upgrade it automatically.

If you are experiencing any problems with your computer, e.g. if your operating system has been corrupted by some other 3rd party software which prevents avast! from being correctly uninstalled, you can uninstall the program using the avast! Uninstall Utility.

So technically, If you already had Avast 5, simply updating to Avast 6 is all that is required. I did and had no problems. My revo uninstaller program only shows Avast 6 as the sole existing Avast software.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 06:10:00 PM by TomN »

MRL

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 01:23:29 AM »
I did install from scratch following all of the 6-7 steps suggested by TECH. On the first reboot after isntalling version 6, everything loaded well and no lock-up - so I tested with a second boot. Computer locked up again.
So I uninstalled version 6 again and reinstalled version 5 - everything is ok except for my faith in AVAST.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 01:48:34 AM »
Please, go to folder \windows\minidump and send the newest (recent) .mdmp files for analysis.

Can you manually generate a dump? (C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file).
Better if you can compress (zip) them and add some information about the BSOD and the link for this thread.  ;)
Upload it to this anonymous ftp server: ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/

Manual dump: when the machine is in stalled state, hold down the rightmost CTRL key, and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice. This will cause a machine to 'blue-screen' and dump of memory will start.
More info: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

To generate full dump instead of only kernel (or small dump), see http://www.msfn.org/board/creating-memory-dumps-t130005.html.

Piffyuk

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 12:59:44 PM »
I've had exactly the same problem.  I resolved yesterday's lockup by doing the process suggested (safe mode/uninstall/reinstall) and it restarted fine.  Today total lockup again.  I've uninstalled Avast for now but having seen the request to post the dump file I'll reinstall and see if I can generate the required file (nothing in that folder at present from the last crashes but I always just hard stopped the computer with the power button).

Hope we can resolve this problem as Avast has been very useful to me up till now.

emteec

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 10:36:19 PM »
After upgrading to Avast v6, I am experiencing a similar lock-up of my PC when running Online Armor.  Problem occurs on both Win XP & Win 7. Problem occurs even if I uninstall v5 first.

vince5223

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 11:30:33 PM »
Every time you uninstall and install you leave behind any number of registry files. You should clean out all temp files and use the registry cleanup using ccleaner. You can also use auslogics registry cleaner as well. Also use regseekers registry function and punch in avast to manually remove anything and everyting related to avast. These programs sometimes put a stranglehold on dll files giving them exclusive rights to any small changes you make.  If these programs don't give you options for your control I wouldn't even bother with them. If you clean out your computer properly avast should load OK. I really like avast and it works well. Then do a clean install of avast 6. Afterwards run ccleaner again to clean out the unnecessary junk. Don't allow any new program or antivirus to install search bars or change your homepage. Make manual changes in avast to recognize your specific mail program. Retrieve your registration number from avast through your email program and load it in. Don't take any shortcuts and most of the time your computer should be fine. Run your defrag program afterwards. This is only my opinion or recommendations. Have a nice day.

vince

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 10:02:24 AM »
@ emteec (and this may help others),

When using OA and Avast, since both software are security software you need to put both software in each other's exclusions to avoid potential conflicts.  This is a general rule regardless of what the software is. 

The best way to exclude both OA and Avast is the following:

To exclude OA in Avast:
·   Settings > Exclusions > Add > search for Online Armor and click on the box to the left of it and add it, then click OK.
·   Real Time Shields > Expert Settings > Trusted Processes > Add > search for Online Armor and click on the box to the left of it and add it, then click OK.
·   Behavior Shield > Expert Settings > Trusted Processes > Add > search for Online Armor and click on the box to the left of it and add it, then click OK.  Also change action to take in Behavior Shield to “Ask.”

To exclude Avast in OA:
·   Open the OA GUI > Options > Exclusions > Add > click on the pop-up window and find C:\Program Files\Awil Software\ (for Avast).
·   When you reboot OA (to go into Learning Mode), make sure ALL Avast shields are left on and leave Avast alone.
·   Reboot your machine again; OA requires two boots.  After this second reboot, you may get a pop-up asking you if you trust Avast.  Answer the pop-up as "Trust Always" and "Remember My Decision" and you should not get any more pop-ups.  Answer incorrectly and you will get future pop-ups.
·   Open the OA GUI > Programs > untick "Hide Trusted" so that you can see everything > look to make sure everything from Avast is not "blocked" (red) or "ask" (yellow).  If it is, right-click the item and change it to "Trust."  Reboot.
·   Open the OA GUI > Options > Backup/Restore > Save your settings once you have everything the way you want it.

If doing the exclusions does not resolve your problem, when you uninstall, make sure you are using the new Avast uninstaller tool http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe and that you are uninstalling ALL versions and products of Avast you had on the machine first via Control Panel then in Safe Mode with the Uninstaller Tool, then REBOOT.

Run CCleaner Slim version with no toolbars http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds – 4th option down to clean your machine prior to installing the new Avast version.  Run the CCleaner registry cleaner if you like, and make a back up of any fixes in Documents or on a USB stick.

After doing a clean install of Avast, registering it and getting your updates, reboot.

Do an Avast Quick scan to make sure all is working fine.

Now defrag your machine with something like free Puran defrag, which has a regular and boot-time defrag (more thorough) http://www.puransoftware.com/.

Let us know if this resolves your problem.  Thank you.

wesright

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 03:44:49 AM »
Hello, I see I might not be the only one having issues with v6.  I noticed the TECH mentioned posting the memory dumps to the incomfing FTP directory so I did that.

To TECH, if it helps, I put the memory dump files in ftp.avast.com/incoming and its named wesright.rar

Simply, with the Free Avast 5.x version my PC worked great. I upgraded to the new v6 and upon reboot I got the BSOD and it crashed the PC. The ONLY fix I could find was safe mode and uninstalling Avast 6. Unfortunately I have no was to install v5 again, so I'm stuck with no A/V program right now.  For tonight and until this is fixed, I'll try AVG or one of the others.

--Wesley
a.k.a. wesright

doggie015

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 01:07:38 PM »
Bump. Been having the same problem. Hopefully the new beta version solves it!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 01:18:33 PM »
wesright, hope the programmers take a look into the ftp server :)