Author Topic: I don't like free v6 - can I redownload v5?  (Read 7600 times)

Jack 1000

Re: I don't like free v6 - can I redownload v5?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 09:58:22 PM »
Jack1000,
I'm familiar with all of those things and would only reinstall my op system if something serious happens with recovery impossible. True, various quirks accumulate in an op system over the years, and a clean reinstall is the only way to fix them. However mine is running fine in general, no serious problems. The problems I'm having with avast6 are probably the fault of that software, not my op system, IMHO. Of course there's no way to know for sure. Everything about computers is just virtual reality anyway. :)

Thanks for the update,

So just to confirm, version 5.1 caused no problems?  If so, I would uninstall version 6 and just go back to version 5.1.  I am sure there will be several updates for version 6 to work out bugs:

According to the Avast release history page: (Thanks for providing this guys!)  Note the following:

http://www.avast.com/release-history

There were seven builds for version 5.  When I first got version 5, it was very buggy.  But each build made it better.  And version 5.1 is smooth as butter with no problems at all for me:

I'm giving version 6 a three month grace period before updating (minimal) just so that these issues can be worked out.  Note that each successive build will only make version 6 better and better.

Jack

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 04:37:01 AM »
JohnnyBob webrep isnt seperate in the programs list you will have to double click avast in add remove programs and then click change, once you get the popup screen then untick webrep and the gadget if you dont want that either, click ok then reboot.

sandeep108

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 06:04:44 AM »
On my old XP PC >6 years, avast! 6 really has helped speed up things. I also do not like webrep and on the prompt to install it after re-boot, I simply clicked no.

Uninstall webrep like craigb said, uninstall chrome (if by mistake you clicked the checkbox ok to install it) and disable auto sandboxing or add your normal programs to its allow list.

Even with v6.0.1, my old single core PC is much faster (and I have never done any re-install at all these 6 years) than with v5 or initially with AVG.