Author Topic: virus scan-some files cannot be scanned  (Read 4668 times)

s.h.

virus scan-some files cannot be scanned
« on: March 04, 2011, 05:40:57 AM »
This has happened twice and only after I updated to 6.0. After running a virus scan I get the message some files cannot be scanned. There are 6 files and they all start with program files/alwil software/avast5/defs
I don't know what to do.

Nesivos

Re: virus scan-some files cannot be scanned
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 06:10:20 AM »
I had this happen on Feb 27th at a little past 11PM GMT -8 hours which was Feb 28th 8AM GMT +1 hour on one of my three computers all using W7 SP1 HP and AIS 6.0.1000

The scan results showed seven files in the Avast directory path that could not be scanned.

I do nightly scans and have the virus definitions set to update automatically.

I just checked my nightly scan results from Feb 27th until last night on all three computers and all scans since have been clean with all files showing as being scanned.

I have no explanation as to what might have caused this occurrence on Feb 27th.

1. Are your virus definitions set to auto update?
2. How often does your computer scan?
3. What was the date of the scan that showed the files as being unscannable?
4. Has that same scan run again since you got those results and if it did where there any unscannable files in the subsequent scan.
5  What exact program number of Avast are you using and when did you update to it?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 06:13:31 AM by Nesivos »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 06:12:11 AM »
Don't worry about them these file are password protected and will not harm your pc.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 06:18:41 AM »
The only way to stop these files being detected is to do a clean install as the old file names were under alwil and now that version 6 is out the file names have been changed to avast, after uninstall and reboot go to program files and program data and delet the alwil/avast leftovers before installing fresh copy.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:00:43 AM by craigb »

Nesivos

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 06:20:36 AM »
Don't worry about them these file are password protected and will not harm your pc.

The message that AIS generated was not "file cannot be scanned password protected" but "error:The system cannot find the path specified(3)"

I have gotten the first password protected message a number of times and have either deleted the file or put it in the exclusion list.  

The error message on on Feb 27th to my recollection I had never seen before in the scan results.

It hasn't happened again and to my knowledge I did nothing to fix it so it must have fixed itself, so no biggie. :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 06:22:08 AM by Nesivos »

s.h.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 06:50:54 AM »

4. Has that same scan run again since you got those results and if it did where there any unscannable files in the subsequent scan.
5  What exact program number of Avast are you using and when did you update to it?
[/quote]

1. yes
2. about twice a week
3 and 4. I got the message 2/25. The scan on 2/26 and 2/28 was fine. Then the scan on 3/3 said it again.
5. 6.0. Whenever they had the upgrade

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 07:01:54 AM »

1. yes
2. about twice a week
3 and 4. I got the message 2/25. The scan on 2/26 and 2/28 was fine. Then the scan on 3/3 said it again.
5. 6.0. Whenever they had the upgrade
[/quote]Your answer is here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72933.msg607183#msg607183