Author Topic: [RESOLVED] avast 6.0.1 free wont update  (Read 28696 times)

norhuma

Re: avast 6.0.1 free wont update
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 02:26:48 PM »
I'm kind of disappointed by the lack of any (official) response to what seems like a pretty obvious bug to me. I mean, I know, I'm using a free AV program here, but I'd still like it to function as advertised.

(short summary of the problem that galocza and I have: no autoupdates or updates via the program GUI)

I'm going to wait and see if the next program version contains a fix, otherwise I guess I have to look around for a replacement for Avast on my system.

galocza

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 07:22:19 AM »
you can update manually via add/remove programs or the command line, see here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=44533.msg373060#msg373060
you can even add it to task scheduler i guess - but it seems to me that with these methods you only download the new updates and a restart is required to install them, so schedule wisely 8).
anyway its getting tiresome and i still have nod license somewhere but i like and know avast and im still hoping, waiting for a program update to fix this problem - ive never expected to get an official response here but i hope that at least this topic is read and the bug will be fixed.

Offline jason7619

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 09:14:11 PM »
I sympathize with you guys here. I also have waited for help but only a couple did help me....sadly my problem is on and off with Win 7 x32. I wish (really wish/pray) that it get's fixed or something...tired of doing clean installs here..Went back to my old AV but left one pc to see what's going on with it.
Avast IS 19.8  /  Malwarebytes Premium / Windows 10 x64 Build 1903 / AMD A10 Processor desktop with R9 Graphics 32GB Ram.

chuckens

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 09:40:32 PM »
so is there anyway to fix this problem? i installed it the other day on my friends new build of win7 and it updated fine. the laptop i'm on now is vista. bugging the sh1t of of me going on weeks. pls help some one. tnx

thatdaveguy

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 06:38:41 AM »
I'm kind of disappointed by the lack of any (official) response to what seems like a pretty obvious bug to me. I mean, I know, I'm using a free AV program here, but I'd still like it to function as advertised.

(short summary of the problem that galocza and I have: no autoupdates or updates via the program GUI)

I'm going to wait and see if the next program version contains a fix, otherwise I guess I have to look around for a replacement for Avast on my system.

+1. I'm having the same problems in this thread and there's no apparent solution or communications from Avast. I'm quite disappointed, even if it is free.

Gargamel360

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 07:10:47 AM »
Messy thread, but in response to the title, if you have update problems, sometimes you can try to Open Avast!>>Settings>>Updates>>Proxy Settings>>Check "Direct Connection, No Proxy"

thatdaveguy

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 08:22:10 AM »
Messy thread, but in response to the title, if you have update problems, sometimes you can try to Open Avast!>>Settings>>Updates>>Proxy Settings>>Check "Direct Connection, No Proxy"

Tried this, didn't help unfortunately.

Jack 1000

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »
Try a repair of Avast,

Close out of all Windows.  Wait Several Seconds

Open Control Panel

Select Add/Remove Programs.

Find Avast in the list.  When you click, Remove, you will get a dialog box with three options.

Select Repair from that list.

Follow any prompts.

Wait several seconds, close out of everything and reboot.  Hope that helps!

Jack

galocza

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 09:37:42 AM »
first of all, thanks for your interest and for your posts.
unfortunatelly those tricks did nothing good, ive read the forum (ok some of it 8), and tried all the obvious methods including the ones you guys recommended for no avail.
the problem is probably not the internet settings anyway - updating in add/remove programs with the same settings works.

g

SafeSurf

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 09:59:09 AM »
It sounds like most of you have tried the usual things to fix this problem, but what I haven't seen is anyone uninstalling and doing a clean install of a different version of Avast to see if this fixes the problem.  There are pre-release versions available that are bug-fixes; might I suggest installing version 6.0.1044. 

1. Save a copy of Avast and save it to your HDD.
Free AV: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1044/setup_av_free.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe and save it to your HDD (this is a new Uninstaller Tool).
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  Uninstall ALL previous versions and products of Avast at this time.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy for Free.
    Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Let us know if this fixes your problems.  Thank you.

galocza

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 08:43:53 PM »
thanks for your post,
it didnt work for me.
was good idea though, i wasnt even aware of open betas...
g

SafeSurf

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 10:45:11 AM »
@ galocza,

So I can get all your information in one place:
1.   What is your OS, 32 or 64-bit?
2.   What version of Avast do you have installed?   
3.   What product of Avast did you install?  Free, Pro, AIS?
4.   What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software

- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or  another way)?

galocza

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 11:49:55 PM »
lets summarize it:
1. windows xp pro, x64 (curiously enough, i think all? people with this problem have some kind of 64 bit os)
2. 6.0.1044
3. free
4. i only have spybot search&destroy with only sdhelper active, no teatimer. no firewall, not even the windows one, no other security sw. its a relatively new install, a month old, installed win, avast, avast updated itself to 6.xx, bam, update problem (i had an 5.xx installer). 5.xx updated ok with the old op sys.
i think i mentioned before, but its interesting so i write it again: through add/remove programs updating works, same internet settings as in the program settings - so it doesnt seem that it is some communication problem.

SafeSurf

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 09:20:11 AM »
4. i only have spybot search&destroy with only sdhelper active, no teatimer. no firewall, not even the windows one, no other security sw. its a relatively new install, a month old, installed win, avast, avast updated itself to 6.xx, bam, update problem (i had an 5.xx installer). 5.xx updated ok with the old op sys.
When you uninstalled and did a clean install of Avast, did you also uninstall v.5.0 in Safe Mode with the Avast Uninstaller tool that I gave you the link for?

galocza

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 09:36:19 AM »
yes, i strictly followed every step. i always used the removal tool + i searched for every remaining avast and alvil directories after uninstalling and delete them.