Author Topic: Turning off 'skinning'  (Read 10841 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Turning off 'skinning'
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 01:57:06 AM »
Do you mean that colored themes aren't possible either?

I have no idea. But I'm quite sure that even if it were possible, it would have quite a low priority...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 02:14:14 AM »
I have no idea. But I'm quite sure that even if it were possible, it would have quite a low priority...
Does Martin work for avast yet?
Who did develop the GUI?
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 02:17:48 AM »
Yes, he certainly works, and he's rather busy.
But he's a designer, not a developer.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 02:32:18 AM »
Yes, he certainly works, and he's rather busy.
But he's a designer, not a developer.
And which is his opinion?
I think a color theme won't be that bad. It will allow configuration. Will calm down the skins lovers :)
The best things in life are free.

dagrev

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 04:11:50 AM »
I think the skins won't come back.
But if the marketing guys allow, we can think on color themes, can't we?
We have avast sounds, why not avast color schemes?

+1
Black and burnt orange are not exactly my favorite colors. ;D

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 10:36:42 AM »
Is there a setting somewhere in Avast to turn off the main 'theme' or skin, and revert to using the default system theme? Like other programs do, such as Comodo?

Thanks.

Isn't the "Windows" (or whatever it's called) option in Comodo 5's 'Appearance' setting a fixed theme that resembles a mock-up Windows XP/Vista/7 appearance, rather than adopting the actual chosen system appearance style, colours, fonts, etc?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

warlock

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 11:52:19 AM »
If we are stuck with the skin, at least do some polishing to it please:
  • fix the artifacts on the edge rounding (use better antialiasing and larger alphablended shadow)
  • merge minimize/maximize/close in one block and get rid of the double border around them
  • don't use rounded edges for the content area and sidebar buttons
  • get rid of the doubled top/bottom separators, scroll submenus, not the whole sidebar
  • align top sidebar button with content area
  • make sidebar sub-menus look like they slide out of the parent button (no rounded edges and continuous gradient from the parent button to the submenu)
  • fix maximized state, so that the borders don't go off screen (especially on top, where 1/3 of the min/max/close buttons are hidden) and don't use rounded edges

Hermite15

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »
[...snip] Just follow what DavidR's recomends and he does not run Comodo.

I'm quite sure DavidR is a very well informed chap and knows his stuff, and from his replies, he also comes across as very helpful and courteous. Nevertheless, I think I can manage to go it alone for a little while longer, YoKenny...and no offence to DavidR ::)

well said, ignore the lurkers, they don't have much to say ;)

privateofcourse

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 10:35:59 PM »
Isn't the "Windows" (or whatever it's called) option in Comodo 5's 'Appearance' setting a fixed theme that resembles a mock-up Windows XP/Vista/7 appearance, rather than adopting the actual chosen system appearance style, colours, fonts, etc?

Now you mention it, I believe that used to be the way it worked actually...you could choose a skin that looked like Windows from the ones available. However, it this version of Comodo I am using now there is simply 'Windows Theme' as an option amongst Comodo's few skin choices. Choosing 'Window Theme' removes the current Comodo skin and the current Windows theme is then visible, whichever one is being used, so I think things have changed.

privateofcourse

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 10:38:59 PM »
Re the colourised versions of the existing Avast theme: couldn't a few alternative CommonRes.dll be provided? I take it that is where the neccessary png files are stashed?

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 01:28:14 AM »
I agree the GUI looks fine, but it would be cool to be able to change the secondary color from orange.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 03:08:31 AM »

Now you mention it, I believe that used to be the way it worked actually...you could choose a skin that looked like Windows from the ones available. However, it this version of Comodo I am using now there is simply 'Windows Theme' as an option amongst Comodo's few skin choices. Choosing 'Window Theme' removes the current Comodo skin and the current Windows theme is then visible, whichever one is being used, so I think things have changed.

I checked with a local "non-exclusivist" CIS user and it seems you are more correct than me. ;)
The 'Windows Theme' option in the latest "incarnation" does take on the colours and style of the user's choices in Windows.
I was thrown initially by the fact that it didn't also adopt the font, sizing and other details as well.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

zfactor

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 03:44:49 AM »
i personally like the orange theme but i agree having choices would be nice.

twl845

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 04:25:31 AM »
Fer crying out loud. It's an AV app with a nice GUI. Why do we need a choice of skins and colors to do a scan?  ;D

Hermite15

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 11:16:38 AM »
Fer crying out loud. It's an AV app with a nice GUI. Why do we need a choice of skins and colors to do a scan?  ;D

agreed, + on a side note, Avast 5/6 UI was particularly well designed and looks good imo.