Author Topic: avast! internet security 5.0  (Read 2652 times)

ivory888

avast! internet security 5.0
« on: March 04, 2011, 10:07:02 PM »
I'm writing to see if someone could offer a suggestion on getting avast! internet security 5.0 running again.  Now it doesn't appear in the notification area among the little icons there.  Several days ago it did appear there. 

On trying to scan a .wmv file download, a message appeared, saying "Avast UI Process (AvastUI.exe) is currently not running.  Please run the application before starting a scan."

Well, I would be glad to run the application if I learn how to do it . . .

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast! internet security 5.0
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 10:16:15 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

ivory888

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 03:37:35 PM »
Today the Avast! icon, the spinning globe, re-appeared in the notification area with the other icons and, apparently, Avast! is now working.  I didn't reinstall and am just glad Avast! is now working and running. :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 09:39:41 PM »
Glad to know. Anyway, can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.