Author Topic: Resolved: How to create an exclusion for Java updates  (Read 2892 times)

TomN

Resolved: How to create an exclusion for Java updates
« on: March 05, 2011, 07:31:11 PM »
How do I create an exclusion for the Java scheduler to run and update any new java updates. I had an issue with it recently not updating after my updating to Avast 6. It could have been my Firewall as well as I have also updated that to a new version. I disabled both and downloaded and installed the java update without a hitch, so I know it was one or both that prevented it.

Here is the path I would probably need to use? "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jucheck.exe"

So where in the menu would I insert this exclusion or is this the path that I even need to use?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 02:53:04 PM by TomN »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to create an exclusion for Java updates
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 08:04:24 PM »
You shouldn't need to exclude it and even if you did you would need to know which shield it was that supposedly interfered with it.

Avast scans and if infection is found there would be an alert popped up.

By disabling both your firewall and avast you don't know which was responsible. So it is hard to determine what shield if any was involved.

Personally I don't allow JAVA to have this as a startup entry when I install the latest JAVA update/s.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TomN

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 08:52:04 PM »
Now I'm not so sure it's either the Firewall or AV causing it now.

I have a program "JavaRa" which I can use to delete old versions of java and check for updates. When I now run the check for updates part of it I get these two messages. The first screen shot is when I click on "click here" for technical info. Doesn't matter whether AV and FW are disabled or not. Any clues?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 09:51:50 PM »
Well the first thing I would say would to have allowed windows to send the error report, in the hope that they might be able to find the fault and pass the information on to Oracle who now own the JAVA rights, etc.

You shouldn't need to use the JAVARA as the lates versions of JAVA (from about JRE 6 update 20) should also remove the Old JAVA version when installing the new one. You should also be able to uninstall the current/old version from windows add remove programs and install the latest JAVA version.

Latest JAVA Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 update 24 download link https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=jre-6u24-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

doktornotor

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 09:56:02 PM »
You shouldn't need to use the JAVARA as the lates versions of JAVA (from about JRE 6 update 20) should also remove the Old JAVA version when installing the new one. You should also be able to uninstall the current/old version from windows add remove programs and install the latest JAVA version.

Well, it does... kinda. Leaves tons of registry junk etc. behind. JavaRa is good.  8)