Author Topic: avast! and Gameguard... again.  (Read 5979 times)

AppleBoy

avast! and Gameguard... again.
« on: February 28, 2011, 12:47:36 PM »
Hey everyone,

Just yesterday I updated my avast! Free 5 to version 6. However, it brought me a problem that disappoint me alot.

I play MU Online that uses Gameguard as an anti-hacking/botting program and after upgrading avast! to version 6, my game is unable to run due to a common Gameguard problem (error 114). Now, the game and Gameguard were fine when I still have avast! 5. So I believe that this Gameguard error is caused by the new version since I received this error immediately after I reboot my PC when version 6 installation was completed.

Few more information, I have added the necessary Gameguard files and even the game folder to the exclusions tab of File System Shield, Behaviour Shield and even the new Sandbox. Did a full system scan too, and no virus was found. Furthermore, the game is in my exception list in my Windows Firewall.

I am wondering if this is a compatibility problem with avast! and Gameguard as I remember that there used to be an issue with the compatibility of the two programs (but it was fixed in an update).

Please help, thanks! :D

Another note: I went to try out Lineage 2 14 days trial a few days ago... and well Lineage 2 also use Gameguard. Lineage 2 was running fine like MU Online until I upgraded my avast! 5 Free to 6, Lineage 2 start to give the same Gameguard error as my MU Online.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:51:24 PM by AppleBoy »

AppleBoy

Re: avast! and Gameguard... again.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 09:58:05 AM »
Sorry, but anyone can help? X_x

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:28:01 AM »
What's your OS (32-bit or 64-bit) ?

AppleBoy

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:33:27 AM »
Windows Vista 32 bits. A few more information, I have also added almost every single possible GameGuard files to my Windows Firewall exception lists.

In addition, I only have Windows Defender/Windows Firewall/avast! 6 in my system. However I doubt it is the Windows security program that cause the problem since this only happened after I upgrade my avast.

Forget it, seems like no one have a solution. I just uninstall avast! and went for AVG instead. Hopefully the avast and gameguard thing will have an update to fix the problem like during avast 5.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:26:44 PM by AppleBoy »

ronallandottk

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 02:25:25 AM »
I have the same problem, with Gameguard on Cabal Online. It seems to be limited to Windows Vista 32-bit only (don't know if it also applies to the Vista 64-bit). It doesn't interfere with Gameguard on Windows 7 64-bit or 32-bit, and Windows XP. For now, just uninstalled Avast 6 same as you and went with another antivirus program. Hopefully this gets resolved soon. Haven't had this problem with Avast 5. Only since upgrading to Avast 6.