Author Topic: Trouble uninstalling Avast! 4 Home Edition  (Read 9911 times)

Burc

Trouble uninstalling Avast! 4 Home Edition
« on: July 19, 2003, 01:36:43 AM »
I am very sorry if you have already given an answer to my problem. When I tried to uninstall the software I encountered an error message saying, "Error loading C:\Program~1\Alwil The specified module could not be found." Please tell me what I should do. I am running my computer on Windows XP, and I also use the AVG 6.0 Antivirus. Can the problem be related to the latter? Thank you in advance for your response.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2003, 01:38:57 AM by Burc »

Pavel Mourek

Re:Trouble uninstalling Avast! 4 Home Edition
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 01:58:55 PM »
Try to use AvClear4.exe from http://www.asw.cz/i_idt_1336.html for complete avast! 4 removal.

It is not recommended to have more antiviruses running on computer.

rlndsgrb

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 09:36:08 AM »

Can I have more than one AV installed but only one is checked in the start-up table (i have WinME...) and then they don't run at the same time ?
Thanks,rolando.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 10:01:43 AM »
Yes, that should be no Problem, but first you have to decide which one you like to use for "realtimemonitoring" and which AVs you want to install( always use costum install not typical or complete)
MfG Ralf

rlndsgrb

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2003, 06:32:04 PM »

AS "realtimemonitoring" I'd prefer Avast! Resident protection . Then Avast! is the only AV with an excellent uman being interface ! Just not to change country the other AV is AVG. Any Problem ?
Thanks a lot,rolando  

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 06:36:15 PM »
NO, but after installing avg you should remove anything belong to avg(grisoft) that could be startet automatically? You can use MSCONFIG for that.
MfG Ralf

rlndsgrb

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2003, 08:19:41 PM »
Thanks. Yes, I have unchecked "avgcc" in startup tab in Msconfig  ( avge..exec not installed > this should be the Resident Protection ). Something that I don't get is that both AV explorer have an entry in the mouse right click menu to scan a file and both work !(something resident is still working ? the utility " process explorer" doesn't show any avg program active !).
Thanks,regards rolando.

rlndsgrb

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 08:40:06 PM »
DISREGARD  THE PART BELOW.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Something that I don't get is that both AV explorer have an entry in the mouse right click menu to scan a file and both work !(something resident is still working ? the utility " process explorer" doesn't show any avg program active !).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
An Avg task is executing.
Sorry,rolando.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2003, 10:03:10 PM »

Something that I don't get is that both AV explorer have an entry in the mouse right click menu to scan a file and both work !(something resident is still working ?

Right click "only" starts the on demand scanner. On my "right click menu"  are 6 entrys and all of them work
MfG Ralf

panfr

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2003, 03:43:37 PM »
As far as I know antivirus definitions of AV programs can be very easily conceived by other AV programs as VIRUSES (well... the signatures and suspect strings are there...), and you guess what will happen if several thousands of "viruses" will be detected in one go!
Of course you can set up the AV programs to have the other's definitions in their exclude list, but I guess that you will still encounter problems, say with the iAVS updates.
Some AV's like Norton leave the definition files in some folder even after uninstalling them (typically under program files/common files/something), and that thing can cause similar problems when you install another AV.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2003, 03:49:26 PM »
Most AV-Companies encrypt their Signatures to avoid such kind of false alarm. I only know one AV who did not do that.
Yes, NAV does not delete its  updatefolder while uninstalling. But that should not be a (false detection)problem for other AV-Programs.
MfG Ralf