Author Topic: I'm downgrading to 4.7...  (Read 14195 times)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: I'm downgrading to 4.7...
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 05:01:28 AM »
I don't know why 4.8 would be any different to 4.7 in this regard but does anyone else who is not seeing BJReplay's problem have the same configuration?

BJReplay
Who is the ISP?
Can you connect by dial-up (maybe to a different ISP?) and see if the delay is still there?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 05:07:11 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 05:43:41 AM »
Maybe it is my ISP (which is common to all my PCs) and perhaps their transparent web proxy is causing issues for Avast's web filter - I don't know.  All I know is 4.7 works, 4.8 doesn't.

I can well believe that as a likely key difference - and as you say - common to these systems. 

Some other users did report issues that appeared to be related to the avast web filter.  Having multiple filters for port 80 is not very common (and does not occur for the folks I support).  The avast team report that they have made changes in this area in the current beta program. We have confirmation from one user who reported the problem fixed - the other threads have not been updated by their original posters.

So, there is a good chance that the current beta release may well address this problem for you and your folks.  If you prefer to wait for the production release before checking it out again then the avast team have indicated that they expect the refresh made available today to be the last of this beta program before the new production release. 

BJReplay

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 01:47:15 PM »
BJReplay
Who is the ISP?
Can you connect by dial-up (maybe to a different ISP?) and see if the delay is still there?

Optusnet (Cable).

Tried the beta (1187) - same symptoms.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 02:12:22 PM »
Bagle malware is an infection that destroys the avast executables and corrupts its installation, make avast (antivirus) unusable. You need to use 3rd party programs to get rid of it.
Search the forum for Bagle and you'll find a lot of info and problems.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 02:54:49 PM »
One that tries to kill your AV so it can do its dirty work unmolested and which can be a pain to remove, obviously because you haven't got an active AV. Any other AVs and tols that you try to download and install are also likely to suffer the same fate, so not a nice experience. I suggest you do a search for beagle or bagle in the viruses and worms forums for some light reading ;D

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fazio93

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 10:30:24 PM »
Bagle malware is an infection that destroys the avast executables and corrupts its installation, make avast (antivirus) unusable. You need to use 3rd party programs to get rid of it.
Search the forum for Bagle and you'll find a lot of info and problems.

oh, thanks  ;)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 04:45:09 AM »
BJReplay
Who is the ISP?

Optusnet (Cable).

Tried the beta (1187) - same symptoms.

Well I have the same ISP as you but not the same configuration. I'm not seeing this problem so I'm out of ideas for now. (I don't suppose you're paying the extra $5.00 a month for dial-up to try that?)

Just for the record, I have 2 x XP SP2 machines cabled to a Belkin router and Motorola 5100. Both upgraded from 98SE in 2002 and updated via Automatic Updates.
avast! Home 4.8.1187 - all providers. ( Note: Beta is now up to 1192  ::) - I haven't tried it yet.)
Office 2003 installed and up to date
Windows Firewall
I don't have Acrobat Reader installed (Foxit instead).
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 06:30:47 AM »
Perhaps this is another case where the avast team might want to offer its investigative talents to work with a user to understand why 4.7 works and 4.8 does not.

BJReplay

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 04:25:29 AM »
Perhaps this is another case where the avast team might want to offer its investigative talents to work with a user to understand why 4.7 works and 4.8 does not.

That's what I'm hoping  :)

Vlk is looking at the outlook specific problem now...: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34586.msg296983#msg296983