Author Topic: Avast 6 free breaks internet?  (Read 4480 times)

aj1140

Avast 6 free breaks internet?
« on: March 07, 2011, 05:16:11 AM »
I have been using Avast free for almost two years. I recently got a new netbook (Asus EEE PC 1005ha) and naturally installed avast free on it. a few days ago the avast 6 update came out and I put off updating it because of time but when i did, it messed up my internet connections, both wifi and ethernet, i used a system restore point to get it working again but am now on avast free 5 so it keeps pestering me to update, which i want to do but know it will mess up my internet connection.

any help would be greatly appreciated, I need to fix this quickly because i use my netbook for schoolwork.

Thanks,
        aj1140

songbird

Re: Avast 6 free breaks internet?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 06:50:27 AM »
Are you still within your warranty period from the store which you purchased the PC from?

I recently bought a new Laptop PC...no major problems but a lot of glitches (none with Avast, btw).  I did System Restore and finally System Recovery before contacting the store salesman.  He said there is no reason to be doing such things on a new PC other than it being a defective machine and that I should return it for a new one (which I did).  Luckily, I was within the 14 day grace period.  I have a new machine and it is working great!

Apparently, they do not test individual components now before shipping new computers (like they did in the old days).???

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:06:31 AM »
I have been using Avast free for almost two years. I recently got a new netbook (Asus EEE PC 1005ha) and naturally installed avast free on it. a few days ago the avast 6 update came out and I put off updating it because of time but when i did, it messed up my internet connections, both wifi and ethernet, i used a system restore point to get it working again but am now on avast free 5 so it keeps pestering me to update, which i want to do but know it will mess up my internet connection.

any help would be greatly appreciated, I need to fix this quickly because i use my netbook for schoolwork.

Thanks,
        aj1140

I suggest to do a clean install of Avast 6.

Uninstall the Avast 5, maybe run ccleaner after that, reboot.
Download V6 installer and install.
Reboot.

It should work fine.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 01:19:34 PM »
System restore, when it works, always messes avast installation.
Follow an installation from scratch.
The best things in life are free.