Author Topic: Opera Browser constantly crashing since downloading Avast. Can you help?  (Read 4425 times)

5talentgirl

Hi

I just downloaded Avast free after removing Norton. Since then, Opera crashes constantly such that I can no longer use it. I would like to continue to use it as i have loads of bookmarks and mail set up with Opera and it has been my preferred browsaer for the last couple of months.

Avast did give me an alert that the Opera mail server didn't allow it to scan my email with the SSP/TSP settings and advised me to uncheck those settings, which I have don,however, now I can't even access Opera at all without it crashing.

Do I need to change any other settings, if so, what? Can anyone help, please?

Thanks

sded

Did you remove Norton with the Norton removal tool at http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&selected_nav=&pvid=&entsrc=VirtuOZ&docurl=20080828154508EN ?  If not you will need to do that first.  Then uninstall avast! from safe mode with the avast removal tool at http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe , boot twice, and reinstall avast!  Once you get things running, you can uncheck the SSL/TLS settings in Opera Mail-Avast! will take care of the encryption/decryption for you.

5talentgirl

Did you remove Norton with the Norton removal tool at http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&selected_nav=&pvid=&entsrc=VirtuOZ&docurl=20080828154508EN ?  If not you will need to do that first.  Then uninstall avast! from safe mode with the avast removal tool at http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe , boot twice, and reinstall avast!  Once you get things running, you can uncheck the SSL/TLS settings in Opera Mail-Avast! will take care of the encryption/decryption for you.

Thanks, but i did use the Norton removal tool, so do I still need to uninstall Avast before going forward?

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
I'm using Avast 6 with Opera 11.10 and 11.5 and there's no problem with either version of Opera.

A good clear out of Avast, perhaps a couple of reboots, install Avast and do another two reboots (I've found that this will often sort out Avast) might be the next thing to try.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

sded

Good.  Probably not time to reinstall yet.  :)  Could we get a little more information about your system then?  What OS?  What is your firewall?  Any other security software?  Avast 6.0?  I have Opera 11.01 and Avast! 6.0 working fine on 3 computers, w7x64SP1 and VistaSP2 with Online Armor and the Windows firewall but I don't use Opera Mail.
What happens when you get a crash?  BSOD, error messages, hang, or ?  Any particular correlation to some activity?  Does it only happen when you work with Opera Mail?  Are you using POP or IMAP?  For Opera Mail your setup should be incoming on port 110, no encryption if you are using POP.

DavidCo

I'm using Avast 6 with Opera 11.10 and 11.5
Er..
I had crashes with Opera 11.01 & 11.10, havn't seen 11.5 yet

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Whoa!  Opera 11.5?
To the best of my knowledge, there's no Opera 11.5.  Is there?
If it is, it is probably an Alpha.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

doktornotor

Whoa!  Opera 11.5?
To the best of my knowledge, there's no Opera 11.5.  Is there?
If it is, it is probably an Alpha.

Opera 11.5 here - highly experimental and extremely unstable. Not worth debugging the issue at all if the OP is running this.  ::)

Disclaimer: this is not a stable build – it is an early preview of upcoming technologies in Opera. Neither WebGL nor hardware acceleration will be included in the upcoming release of Opera 11.10 for desktop.

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
Actually, I haven't seen any instability so far. I'm using it only occasionally but a couple of hours' browsing on about a dozen sites went very well.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall