Author Topic: File server unresponsive with Avast?  (Read 6685 times)

replaying_it

File server unresponsive with Avast?
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:33:26 PM »
Hey guys. I installed Avast Server in one of our file servers and now it's acting up. Twice or three times a day, the server would be unresponsive. I'm able to ping the server but users aren't able to access the shared folders and when I try to logon, it stays in applying settings. I then have to do a hard boot to get the server back to the desktop and to get the file sharing to work again. We did not have this problem before installing Avast.

We turned off On-Access Protection and still had the same problem.

We uninstalled Avast and it's been an hour without any problems.

I was wondering if anyone here have had this porblem? We have 4 Terminal Servers with Avast Server installed and have not had any problems.

olt

Re: File server unresponsive with Avast?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:56:30 AM »
We're seeing the same problem today - servers completely unresponsive and aswServ process using 100% CPU - what is going on here?  Has there been a new signature file which is causing this problem.  HELP?

Edmund

afiz

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 04:52:54 PM »
Same here.
Since two days :
aswServ take 25% load in 5 minutes, 60% in 1 hour, and crash the server 2 hours later with 100% CPU usage.
Server is a virtual host (Vwmare 4) : Win 2008 SP2, Exchange 2007 SP1, 8 Go RAM, 4x Xeon X5660 (2.8 Ghz).

Tested with and without our GFI Mailessentials 2010 Spam protection.

Even when we uninstall & reinstall only few or even one component (ex : only Exchange 2007 module), cpu is full in few hours.
Stopping modules isn't working : aswServ keep using same amount of cpu.
Endind the process aswServ is the only way to restore the CPU usage.

What could cause such a reaction ? Is it a known bug ?

olt

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 01:06:35 PM »
We're still seeing the same issue here too.
We're also wondering whether it could be linked to backups using Volume Shadow Copies, ShadowProtect or anything similar.
Are any of you using these as well?  Are there any exclusions which should be made for VSS or ShadowProtect Backups?

Edmund