Author Topic: Avast Update Settings  (Read 2585 times)

Offline corttex

Avast Update Settings
« on: March 30, 2011, 09:27:09 AM »
Please, what's the difference between update settings in avast settings menu - dial up modem vs permanently connected (I'm on DSL, but not always connected), and how to postpone update check for example 5 min after turning on the computer or Internet connection.
Thanks

doktornotor

Re: Avast Update Settings
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:35:43 AM »
Please, what's the difference between update settings in avast settings menu - dial up modem vs permanently connected

The difference is that for the first one, avast! will periodically (like, every minute) try to ping its servers.

SafeSurf

Re: Avast Update Settings
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 09:49:47 AM »
Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates >

A. Engine and Virus Definitions: 
  - Automatic Update (default)
  - For “Manual” or “Ask When Update Available ” > Settings > Status Bar > Uncheck the last box

B. Update Parameters: all boxes unchecked (default)
   - If you use DSL, you may want to set #2 above to "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet."  (Avast will ping your machine)
    - Leave all boxes un-ticked if you want a delay as stated in your post. (default)
    - If you use dial-up, you will want to use #2 above to "I only connect to the Internet using dial-up modem."

C. Proxy Settings: Auto Detect using IE Settings (default)
   - Some people have found that using "Direct connection / No Proxy" have worked for them.
   - Use "Specify Proxy Server" if you use a proxy and complete the information below it for the proxy server > click "OK."