Author Topic: AVAST! Version 4.8 Professional drop down option malfunctioning.  (Read 13082 times)

tonisb

Re: AVAST! Version 4.8 Professional drop down option malfunctioning.
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 11:04:47 AM »
Thanks will do exactly what you say. will go for Online Armour as you mentioned that one first.
Cheers,Toni :)

tonisb

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 05:17:08 PM »
DAMN, DAMN, Safesurf please help me.I decided before I installed Online Armour on my husbands machine to install it in my XPMode Virtual machine just in case I ever wanted to go on the internet from there. 1st time it told me it was forbidden by my server then I upgraded to Explorer 8 and it downloaded fine. Added Avast! to the exclusions, no problem then it asked me to restart to take effect. Ok, I clicked to restart thinking I could add Online Amour to the Avast! exclusions once back in . Here is the problem, My Virtual Machine now cannot open. It tries, then it tells me that the integration features are not enabled. I have been to system tools, Administrator tools, everywhere. If I click on continue then it asks me for a password. Well I know the password I gave the technician in the shop when he set everything up (it won't work) but he has now immigrated to UK! Now I know this issue is not an Avast problem and will contact Windows Support but would appreciate any thoughts from you.

SafeSurf

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 10:32:36 AM »
It is good that you upgraded IE to IE8.  As for your problem of not being able to go online now, I think it may have something with this being a virtual machine.  Since I don't use this, I have sent a message to someone who may be able to help you, so please hang in there and be patient for them to reply in this thread.  Otherwise, another helper may come along with a suggestion. 

Daris

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 09:03:29 PM »
So if the issue is the password.....Did you try click on settings and disable integration features then (use username XPMUser without a password) and that should log you in...Or am I misunderstanding something...and or can you explain it a little more in case I am misunderstanding this..

SafeSurf

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 11:36:16 AM »

As for your problem of not being able to go online now, I think it may have something with this being a virtual machine.  Since I don't use this, I have sent a message to someone who may be able to help you.
The person replied to me and suggested that you seek help from the OA forum since you have a VM and using OA and we are not familiar with this but they are.  Here is the link to their forum site: http://support.emsisoft.com/forum/29-online-armor-firewall/.  Please let us know the outcome so that we can help others regarding this problem in the future.

What you can do now temporarily is to uninstall OA via the OA uninstaller tool and reboot twice.  Enable Window Firewall temporarily for some protection.  See if you can get back online. 

Run CCleaner (to clean up remnants), a free system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool.  There is a Slim version available as well at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds – 4th option down.  It removes unused files (cache, temporary Internet files, etc.) from your system, allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.  It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.  Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. 

Let us know if you can get back online, but still seek assistance from the OA link I gave you.

tonisb

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »
Sorry Safesurf, have been away for the weekend for a break from this 'flippin' machine. My original "DAMN DAMN" message I think has been misunderstood. Within the XPMode Virtual Machine in my Win7 Pro laptop I had no problem connecting to the internet. Downloaded new version of Avast! then tried to download OA as an extra firewall. My server would not let me download OA until I upgraded to IE 8 then it downloaded fine. I added Avast!  to the 'exceptions'of OA (sorry in my last msg I incorrectly typed 'exclusions', no problem was apparent but it asked me to restart my computer which I did thinking I could add OA to Avast!'s exceptions once back in.
 The problem is not connecting back to the internet - I CANNOT ACCESS THE VIRTUAL MACHINE. I have never needed a password before so when prompted I tried the only password I knew which was the one I gave the tech.(main wIN 7 password) who set up the laptop me. I am told to enable intergration features in the tools menu by pressing continue but the option is greyed out. The 'Help' Option does not help me. The intergration options in the main computer show it is 'not available' but no option to enable, anything I click does not respond. I am the Owner/Administrator/User (everything), Not shared with anyone or anything. Thanks

Daris

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Did you try (use username XPMUser without a password) and that should log you in...

Daris

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 10:49:12 AM »
In Other words write in .....XPMUser ....as your username... and leave the password blank...and log in....

tonisb

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 02:56:45 PM »
Hi Daris,
The login window opens with XPMUser already inserted and yes I have tried leaving the password blank and it tells me I need a password and domain to log in. at the top of the black screen I have the options to access settings but the options are all greyed out. I cannot get into XP to change whatever it is I have done wrong.

doktornotor

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 11:20:14 PM »
Well, considering that a reinstall of the XP Mode takes just a while...

Daris

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 12:43:03 AM »
Hi tonisb

Did you try or will it let you do this?

) Edit the settings of the VM, and change the close behavior to "Shutdown" (only required if your VM isn't shut down currently).

2) Open your VM, and if you can click on the Shutdown button at the login window, do so - pick Restart.

3) Continually hit F8 as it is "rebooting".  If you do it right, you should get the usual Safe Mode boot choices.

4) Pick the first choice - Safe Mode.

5) At the login screen, type in Administrator for the username, no password - you will log in unless you purposefully somehow set a password on the Administrator account.  If you've forgotten this password - you're going to have to use special programs to recover the password which I won't cover here.

6) Once logged in, go to the Control Panel and select Users & Groups.  Click the XPMUser account and select Remove Password (or you can reset it - up to you).

7) Reboot once again (don't forget to change the settings for the VM back to Hibernate)

......Cheers and Safe Surfing!!!!!!

tonisb

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 09:44:12 AM »
Hi Daris,
What you suggect sounds as if it might work,thankyou for setting it out in terms I can understand and hopefully follow. I will definately try this soon. If all else fails I will re-install XPMode which I believe is a free download. That would mean I have failed and I hate that!
Please give me a few days to get back to you as my dog has started showing signs that her pups are due today so I will have my hands full. I will get back to you.
Many many thanks.
Toni

doktornotor

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 10:01:01 AM »
Heh, have fun with your little pups then, XP Mode can wait.

The F8 trick - I know it is possible with VMWare since it actually shows entire boot process including POST (virtual BIOS). With Virtual PC/XP Mode, I cannot see anything this early, just a pretty much useless progress bar. I can hit F8 as mad and nothing happens.

(And yeah, it is a free download from MS.)

tonisb

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 02:32:53 PM »
Hi Doktornotor,
2+2 = 4 but not always. You mentioned the dreaded word BIOS! The same day that my problem started with the Virtual Machine there was a large BIOS update. Is it possible (I didn't connect the dots before) that this could have caused the problem and not the security download within XP Mode? BIOS is beyond my scope of expertise and am scared to go there.

Toni xx

doktornotor

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 05:32:01 PM »
2+2 = 4 but not always. You mentioned the dreaded word BIOS! The same day that my problem started with the Virtual Machine there was a large BIOS update. Is it possible (I didn't connect the dots before) that this could have caused the problem and not the security download within XP Mode? BIOS is beyond my scope of expertise and am scared to go there.

Well, no idea really. You can always try to downgrade to the previous BIOS version and check, can't you?

P.S. I should point out I didn't mean the real BIOS on your motherboard, VMWare has it's own BIOS (which you can replace with a custom one after a bit of hacking, no idea about Virtual PC.) I only mentioned this b/c of the F8 boot menu/safe mode trick. With VMWare you can actually watch the POST on the virtual machine and the entire boot process, not really the case with Virtual PC as far as I can tell.