Author Topic: AVAST! Version 4.8 Professional drop down option malfunctioning.  (Read 13149 times)

tonisb

Re: AVAST! Version 4.8 Professional drop down option malfunctioning.
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 07:18:43 PM »
Thanks, I continue to learn, I will be back in a few days.

tonisb

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 07:39:16 PM »
Hi Guys,
Sorry it took more than a few days to get back to you. I had 4 Westie puppies that needed hand rearing but all ok now.

In the morning, after trying everything, and given up, I am going to uninstall the whole shebang and start afresh, I really hope this is the answer. I will reinstall Avast but stay clear of Online Armor. Presume Windows firewall is there so will use that but will try not to connect to the internet from within XP Mode (Except to download Avast!)unless I really need to. All went fine before until I added Avast to the OA exceptions. Hold thumbs, I will let you know how it goes,
Thanks for your help and patience,
Toni S-B (South Africa) :-* and a big hug.

tonisb

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 08:23:52 PM »
I did it!! I gave up and reinstalled XPMode. Not proud as I really wanted to figure it out but thats Life. Everything is working fine and hope it will continue to do so.

I have reinstalled Avast! on my new XPMode and enabled the Windows Firewall. What is my risk in not having a third party firewall? I do NOT want to go through all this again even if I do now know the password.? Any other suggestions if my protection is not enough?
Thanks, Toni

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 11:17:29 PM »
Toni, Windows XP Firewall does not offer outbound protection.
But, really, in XPMode you can live with it.
The best things in life are free.

SafeSurf

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2011, 09:26:34 AM »
I have reinstalled Avast! on my new XPMode and enabled the Windows Firewall. What is my risk in not having a third party firewall? I do NOT want to go through all this again even if I do now know the password.? Any other suggestions if my protection is not enough?
As was mentioned, XP firewall only offers 1-way protection.  I realize you have been through a lot at this point.  You may want to consider a third-party firewall (FW) like Online Armor (free or paid), Outpost (free or paid), Comodo (without the AV) - these have not had conflicts with Avast, or you can change completely and upgrade to Avast IS (AIS).

tonisb

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2011, 10:59:43 AM »
Hi Guys,
I think as Tech says I will Live with it, for the moment anyway and see how it goes.
Thanks for everything.
Cheers,
Toni