Author Topic: avast 6.0 and XP problems (shutdown and continuous scanning)  (Read 14149 times)

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
avast 6.0 and XP problems (shutdown and continuous scanning)
« on: March 08, 2011, 02:58:35 AM »
I create a new thread for this as it's messy to have it spread across two threads.

I now have uninstalled and cleaned up 6.0 and reinstall 5.1 instead to test.
Result so far is:

1) Shutdown no longer hangs, but shuts down quite fast. Even with "file shield" active.

2) There is no delay at startup scanning all files linked to from start menu each time.
   Was a delay first time. But next boot it did not scan then (in the buffer I guess).

3) There was no continuous scanning of "AvastUI.exe" like in the lastest 6.0 beta.
   Was scanned a few times at start, but not over and over forever as with 6.0 beta.

So, what do we do know. It obviously is something that has been changed in 6.0 and does not work good on all XP installations. I use FAT32 file-system, but the other one that have the same problem use NTFS.

How can we help figuring this out?  Or must XP users with these problems stay on 5.1 forever?
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: avast 6.0 and XP problems (shutdown and continuous scanning)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:31:14 AM »
No problems here.
Which other security related software is installed..??
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:35:33 AM »
There must be something else involved.
Avast 6 is running perfectly smooth and without observeable impact on speed / performance on my XP machine.

I'ld suggest to convert your drive to the NTFS-filesystem first and see, if that resolves the problem. That can be done with XP's tools and without any need to uninstall either OS or programs.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 08:36:48 AM »
I am somewhat confused as to what version you are using since you have several threads you have discussed this problem including this one:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=73088.msg608930#msg608930
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=73110.msg609033#msg609033

Were you using Avast 6.0.1021 Free version or some other version?  You say you are using 5.1, but exactly what version?  5.1.889?  And what product?  Free, Pro, AIS?

Did you uninstall using the Avast uninstaller tool http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe to remove All versions and products previously installed on this machine prior to reinstalling, then reboot?

What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV) - besides Avast
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software

Have you previously submitted a mini-dump to Avast?

Thank you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 08:48:40 AM »
I'ld suggest to convert your drive to the NTFS-filesystem first and see, if that resolves the problem.

Also works without problems on Fat32 here. ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 09:03:12 AM »
I'ld suggest to convert your drive to the NTFS-filesystem first and see, if that resolves the problem.

Also works without problems on Fat32 here. ;)
asyn

I don't doubt that, however, there might be some other service / program running that, in conjunction with Avast 6, might cause a problem due to FAT 32...
And FAT 32 is outdated, at least for system-drives.
Why are you keeping it on your system?
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 09:12:01 AM »

It's on an old testing-machine, don't worry. ;)
asyn

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 09:36:04 AM »

It's on an old testing-machine, don't worry. ;)
asyn

k.u.k. Computer...   ;D
Free MBAM Clear

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 09:37:59 AM »
Lars-Erik, as asked for in your second thread:

Can you provide a hijack-this logfile?
Free MBAM Clear

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:49:29 AM »
The OP really needs to stick with one thread.  He's got 3 threads currently open and this only creates confusion for those trying to help him.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 10:25:16 AM »
The OP really needs to stick with one thread.  He's got 3 threads currently open and this only creates confusion for those trying to help him.

A big +1..!!!
asyn

k.u.k. Computer...   ;D

;D

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 10:53:21 AM »
That's why I moved it to this thread to stick them together.
In the other threads they got mixed up with all the other discussions.
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 10:59:38 AM »
Were you using Avast 6.0.1021 Free version or some other version?  You say you are using 5.1, but exactly what version?  5.1.889?  And what product?  Free, Pro, AIS?

Did you uninstall using the Avast uninstaller tool http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe to remove All versions and products previously installed on this machine prior to reinstalling, then reboot?

What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV) - besides Avast
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software

Have you previously submitted a mini-dump to Avast?

Thank you.

1) Everything worked OK with 5.1.889 (and I have reverted back to that now)
2) Problems started with the official 6.0 (first problem was the shutdown problem)
3) When I tested with the latest beta I found more problems (the continous scanning of "AvastUI.exe")

One strange thing. After going back to 5.1 I still have lots of scanning at start (not as much as with 6.0 but enough that starting things are real slow the first 5-10 minutes after a boot). Did not have that with 5.1 earlier. Have tried to do a full scan to "fill up" the "buffering" for allready scanned files.

- I have tried uninstalling and cleaning up with the right tools
- I have tried uninstalling ZoneAlarm (didn't help)
- I have tried the cleanup service (to see if anything was logged during shutdown)

Other security programs running: Only ZoneAlarm 4.5, and I have tried uninstalling and testing without that

Mini-dump: How do I do that?  Is there any other debugging I can switch on (to log the excessive scanning of many .exe files at start - does not happend with 5.1 - and the shutdown problem with 6.0)?

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 11:32:52 AM »
OK, just found something (by accident) that I can not explain.
Need you smart people out there to figure out this one :-)

I have a Microsoft Intellitype keyboard with hotkeys.

Just found that if I'm starting a program from the start menu (like "Forte Agent") or using a normal shortcur key (like "Ctrl-Alt-A") the program start at once. No delay.

BUT. If I start it from one of the hotkeys on the keyboard (through the Intellitype software) THEN avast! scans all the programs pointed to by shortcuts in the start menu before launching the program.

Why on earth this strange behaviour?  And why did it start after upgrading avast! to 6.0
(and it hasn't disappeared after changing back to 5.1, still does that, a bit fast, but still).

Why would starting a program (like "Forte Agent") from another program ("IntelliType") trigger avast! to scan all programs linked to in the start menu. Doesn't seem logical at all.

But I have tested and tested now. And it is like described above every time I test ???????

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 11:33:22 AM »
Please post the HJT-log, that lukas asked for in the other thread.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=73088.msg609228#msg609228
asyn