Author Topic: avast 4 pro wont start  (Read 4020 times)

devinchris

avast 4 pro wont start
« on: February 23, 2011, 07:39:15 AM »
My avast program stays in "unsecured" mode and wont start. I've tried updating, restarting, starting and hitting the "fix now" button but it stays in unsecured mode. what am i doing wrong.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: avast 4 pro wont start
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 07:44:17 AM »
have you tried avast repair and reboot ?

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

did it work?

devinchris

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:49:01 AM »
yes. then windows tried to tell me it had a problem rebooting and needed to be restored back to when it was working properly...which failed so i shut it down completely and restarted. that let me boot back up but avast still isnt starting. ill give it another go

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 08:00:48 AM »
you have removed any previous installed AV ? 
and used a removal tool to clean all leftovers http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

Then try a new clean install

remove avast with this http://www.avast.com/en-no/uninstall-utility
Run CCleaner and reboot  http://www.piriform.com/  (remember to untic the toolbar installer)
Run Eusing free and reboot http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

Install avast and reboot

devinchris

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 07:45:16 PM »
no ive had avast for a while and all of the sudden out of the blue it wont run. i've tried to uninstall/repair twice and it doesn't work. if i do a clean remove and install will i have to pay for another license?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 11:32:43 PM »
if i do a clean remove and install will i have to pay for another license?
No, you can reinstall every day if you want.  You did save the mail with the license file in?

OBS: i see your headline say avast 4
if you have a valid license for avast 4.x pro then upgrading to avast 5 pro is free...

devinchris

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 02:44:02 AM »
this process has messed my whole pc up. now avast is active but will stay open for about 3 seconds, and then im notified with a "avast has stopped working" pop up giving me the choice to search for a fix online and close or just close the program. it also does this for 3 other programs now when i start up my computer.

devinchris

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 03:07:55 AM »
this is ridiculous. i came here just to try to find out how to get my avast program to start and now my whole computer is fucked up. what a joke. not only will avast not stay open... adobe, quicktime, magic jack and about 3 other programs are telling me they can no longer run and force them to close.

gery

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 05:09:26 AM »
uninstall avast
run the cleaning tool
reinstall it again and see what happens

devinchris

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 06:58:01 AM »
ive unintastalled and reinstalled three times. each time my computer has worked less. now im lucky if i can use the internet within 5 minutes of starting up. the delay of my computer since ive done what you've told me is unbearable. it started with this piece of shit program from not starting up to every program on my computer not starting because of registry errors. all i wanted was the program i paid money for to work like it was supposed to, and now i have a faulty computer that doesn't run properly. bottom line.... your program stopped working... you gave me instructions how to fix it... your instructions fucked my computer up. fix it please. im sorry for being a dick, but my computer worked perfect until your program started to fuck up. you gave me directions to fix it and now my pc us running like dog shit.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 07:37:13 AM »
If your suddenly getting other programs not working as well as avast you could have an infected pc, are you able to download and run a scan with malwarebytes? or use another computer to download it with then install to your system.