Author Topic: This WebRep is being scribbled after I asked it not to be....  (Read 5012 times)

2nd base

This is annoying me to no end. It's rather minor but it's the principle of the matter that plucks me. When I installed avast! version 6, I asked the installer to NOT install webRep or that gadget.

Of course, when I open up any folder and right click the toolbar I see that WebRep has scribbled itself in that menu. It's not functional one would assume because it's not supposed to be installed so technically it's a corrupt path. Besides the fact that it's there against my will.

So. Besides that minor tyranny, I would be happy to just simply rid myself of the inconsistency without having to fudge around with an otherwise perfect registry. Can we fix this, please? I mean, I did tell the installer not to put webRep on my computer.

Thank you.

YoKenny

Re: This WebRep is being scribbled after I asked it not to be....
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 03:20:05 AM »
I like WebRep but you can remove it.

2nd base

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 03:28:50 AM »
I never installed it, YoKenny. There is nothing to remove except for the corrupt toolbar listing. Like if you open up libraries folder and then right click the toolbar...It say's "avast! webReb" with no target obviously. It's just there. Needlessly ( at least I hope), makes one wonder.

WebRep is listed even though it's not installed.
It bugs me to no end. It's just kindergarten workmanship to me. You know?

I really don't feel like going through my registry to find it and remove it is all.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:32:52 AM by 2nd base »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 05:55:19 AM »
If you go to add remove programs and click on avast then change does it come up with the webrep ticked or not ?

2nd base

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 01:00:22 PM »
If you go to add remove programs and click on avast then change does it come up with the webrep ticked or not ?

No, It's not ticked. As I had mentioned, I never installed it. It's just the old red x in the tick box.

There is no trace of the thing in IE8. Just my windows folders has the redundancy. So if you open up any folder and then right click on the toolbar, it shows that WebRep is recognized in the list.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:41:56 PM by 2nd base »

2nd base

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 04:55:43 PM »
This inconsistency needs to be addressed by the avast! team. It doesn't appear by some of these responses that folks comprehend the issue. An application that I did not install does not have the administrative permissions to edit my file system and scribble little redundant toolbar paths and add inconsistent references like this that serve only to corrupt the registry.

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 06:03:52 PM »

Actually, I don't think Webrep should be showing up in Windows folders at all.

It seems you have a faulty install.
The usual suggestion in this type of case is to unintall avast and then reinstall.

2nd base

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 06:46:05 PM »
Yes, that's what I thought as well. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the avast! program four times since I took the computer out of the box. It's been the same result every time without exception. I even reinstalled the OS twice just to make sure that there were no conflicts either that would make the installer forget how to not install and write WebRep references like this.

It has to be the avast! installer that isn't written correctly.

Thanks anyway though.

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 07:03:08 PM »

Try doing it as listed below and see if that helps.

1 - Download the new av program but do not install it.

2 - Download the uninstall tool for the present av but do not use it.

3 - Disconnect from the Internet.

4 - Uninstall the present av using Add/remove programs (XP) or Programs (W7). I am not sure exactly how this is named in Vista.

*5 - Restart the computer.

6 - Use the uninstall tool downloaded in step #2.

*7 - Restart the computer.

8 - Install the new av program.

*9 - Restart the computer.

10 - Reconnect to the Internet.

11 - Update the new av program.

*The multiple restarts may seem excessive but it is to insure that the actions taken are cleared and updated in the OS and registry before taking the next steps.
Also, if the computer is set to automatically connect to the Internet on start-up, disconnecting from the Internet will be needed after each restart except in step #9.

GreggH

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 07:14:07 PM »
Actually, since you appear to be the only person reporting such a problem as this, it must be your system not the avast! installer. I am running Win7 Ultimate 64 bit with avast! 6.0.1021 updated from 6.0.1000 updated from... (I think you get the idea) and have no such "corruption" in any Explorer window, no matter how many times I right click on the toolbars. Webrep only shows in Internet Explorer (both in IE8 and IE9) for the toolbars, not Explorer.

2nd base

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 12:18:59 AM »
Actually, since you appear to be the only person reporting such a problem as this, it must be your system not the avast! installer. I am running Win7 Ultimate 64 bit with avast! 6.0.1021 updated from 6.0.1000 updated from... (I think you get the idea) and have no such "corruption" in any Explorer window, no matter how many times I right click on the toolbars. Webrep only shows in Internet Explorer (both in IE8 and IE9) for the toolbars, not Explorer.

It's not my system. I've reinstalled the systam twice already fresh. Actually, three times now just to try to fix this. It's a fresh install.Again. Both OS and avast!

Besides, you have the WebRep installed. I don't. So it's a redundant point. And I don't run ultimate either.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:39:20 AM by 2nd base »

2nd base

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 12:20:11 AM »

Try doing it as listed below and see if that helps.

1 - Download the new av program but do not install it.

2 - Download the uninstall tool for the present av but do not use it.

3 - Disconnect from the Internet.

4 - Uninstall the present av using Add/remove programs (XP) or Programs (W7). I am not sure exactly how this is named in Vista.

*5 - Restart the computer.

6 - Use the uninstall tool downloaded in step #2.

*7 - Restart the computer.

8 - Install the new av program.

*9 - Restart the computer.

10 - Reconnect to the Internet.

11 - Update the new av program.

*The multiple restarts may seem excessive but it is to insure that the actions taken are cleared and updated in the OS and registry before taking the next steps.
Also, if the computer is set to automatically connect to the Internet on start-up, disconnecting from the Internet will be needed after each restart except in step #9.

I tried your advice but that didn't work either. Thanks anyhow though.
I also reinstalled the OS again with the same results.It's definately the avast! installer writing these inconsitencies into my system. Do you think maybe it's a backdoor approach that they are taking to figure on a way they can manipulste IE to make their WebRep appear more pretty for those that find such things amusing?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:14:16 AM by 2nd base »

2nd base

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 02:10:43 AM »
Maybe it's best if I just try to work the problem out with Microsoft Support. I cannot imagine that a piece of software can just go and alter my taskbar and folder menus like that without consent. I certainly didn't install these trinkets and as such they should not be able to just write what they please in my registry regardless of the fact that I specifically said not to install something in the first place.

This to me is an attack on my system by unauthorized software. Malware practice to be clear.