Author Topic: Trojan warning: Outlook stopped working..  (Read 2221 times)

Offline apeka

Trojan warning: Outlook stopped working..
« on: March 09, 2011, 04:16:10 PM »
Hello,

Just opened Outlook to send some e-mails. Right away avast 6.01 popupped loud and clear with a Trojan warning in a certain message attachment and apparently moved the suspicious stuff to the virus chest. Before I could take any further action though, Outlook closed off...Restarting Outlook resulted in the same procedure over again..
Because I really had to send e-mails, I had to get Outlook back in shape. This what I did:
1. Temporarily disabled the mail shield in the Avast Control Center
2. Opened Outlook (this time it kept running) and deleted the suspicious message and attachment. BTW:I just selected the suspicious message with attachment and hit delete, not opened it.
3. Emptied the deleted items folder in Outlook right away
4. Re-enabled the mail shield in avast

Now it seems to be ok and Outlook works normally. What I'm still not sure of, is if Avast still has some vicious things in this so-called "chest". Since I'm a newbie to avast I don't know if this is a folder or so...?
Is my computer still at risk? What kind of action is recommenended now? I guess a full scan wouldn't do harm...?
Please advise
Thanks a lot..
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:10:36 PM by apeka »

Daris

Re: Trojan warning: Outlook stopped working..
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »
Well...In My opinion...It all depends on " How your Shields are set up"  In the Expert Mode... In this case, "Expert Settings > Mail Shield > Actions ...
    If they are set to Move to chest, than I would look to see if they are in the Avast Virus Chest..Maintenance > Virus Chest...down below  If they are there than they are disabled and quaranteed....If there is nothing there than Avast probably deleted them or you could have deleted them....or when you disabled your mail shield the trojan could be on your computer...Usually if there is a Trojan that sneaks in it probably downloads worms also in the mail...In either case I would schedule a boot scan....Select (All Drives)
   Than I would also set a Custom Scan and set it to Scan Memory, Rootkits, Autostart Programs All Users...
And if you have Malwarebytes installed  I would do a second opinion scan also....Just to be on the safe side...
    Let us know how things went, and if you need any help with anything...

Offline apeka

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 11:36:42 PM »
Hi,

Sorry fot the late response..
I followed your advise and did the scans as you mentioned. I already had deleted the suspicious message with file from the chest myself. After the scans nothing was detected, so I think I'm safe for now.. I am still wondering waht happened and why I couldn't keep Outlook open...Oh well, avast apparently did his job very thoroughly..
Thanks again for helping me...

Daris

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 10:26:02 AM »
Glad that all worked out OK for you...
Cheers and safe surfing!!!!