Author Topic: Which old version of AV free should I install?  (Read 6397 times)

Piffyuk

Which old version of AV free should I install?
« on: March 10, 2011, 07:36:52 AM »
I have been caught by the problems with version six where no matter what I do to install it, the second start of my computer after installation it all locks up.  I am currently taking the risk of no virus software at all for the first time in many years of computing!

When I first started having problems I read someone recommend installing version 5 as being a way to get round this till avast fix the new install but wondered if that meant all of the version 5 releases on filehippo or if there was one in particular I should install?

I'm using XP Home, SP3.

Thanks in advance for any help.  Don't want to have to go back to AVG, I migrated to avast only a year ago and was fine till this release.

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Which old version of AV free should I install?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 07:43:36 AM »
Hi Piffyuk and welcome to the forum!

Have you already tried this version: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=73110.msg608535#msg608535
Before installing use the avast!-removal tool: http://www.avast.com/de-de/uninstall-utility
By the way: do you have any other security software on your computer?

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

Piffyuk

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 09:16:32 AM »
Thanks for the welcome DJBone :)

I haven't tried the new beta because of reading in the forum that people are still having the same issues with it.  There's only so many times I like do do hard restarting of my computer.

I used the avast removal tool and the AVG removal tool that someone kindly posted, in case some parts of AVG were still left installed.  Though I run CCleaner from time to time so not much rubbish hangs around for long.

When I first had issues with Avast I had tried uninstalling Spybot and haven't put that back yet.

Also in the same thread advising the AVG removal tool I followed the advice to install Malwarebytes Anti Malware.

My firewall is Zonealarm vs 9.2.57.0

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:29:19 AM »
You might give the new version a chance, because it solved a problem with Zonealarm compatibility as you can see in the first post from vlk.

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 10:44:27 AM »
There is a new Avast Uninstaller Tool now from the one previous posted in this thread: http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe.  Please use this one for uninstalling ALL versions and products of Avast from now on.  Thank you.

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 11:32:46 AM »
if you try the new beta version and still have problems then use the removal tool safesurf suggested..now if you want the best previous version of avast i would say its 5.1.889 i currently use..its the latest v5 version before v6 come out and in my machine works like a charm ;)
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

Piffyuk

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 10:59:11 AM »
Just an update and thank you.  I did install the beta and it is running fine.  The next test will be to reinstall Spybot.

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 11:02:16 AM »
The next test will be to reinstall Spybot.
My suggestion based on user feedback from other forum users is to NOT install Teatimer as this conflicts with Avast.  IMO, don't install SB and instead use MBAM (Malwarebytes) instead to avoid all conflicts, but you will find out for yourself.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

Piffyuk

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 12:01:16 PM »
Ah, thanks for the tip, the problems I had with the AV update originally sound as if they were caused by Zonealarm and Spybot then.

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 12:07:30 PM »
Yep.  We've had many users report conflicts with those. 

The download link for MBAM is http://www.malwarebytes.org/.  There is a Free (on-demand) or Pro (one time paid resident) version.

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 01:59:13 PM »
IMO, don't install SB and instead use MBAM (Malwarebytes) instead to avoid all conflicts,...

+1 ;)

Regards
~SKY~
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 10:27:58 PM »
If you want a "companion" for MBAM, a better choice would be SuperAntiSpyware (often referred to as SAS).  Like MBAM, it comes in both free (on-demand scans only) and paid (resident protection) versions, and I'm not aware of anyone experiencing conflicts betwen it and avast.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 10:51:18 PM »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Piffyuk

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 12:31:17 AM »
Interesting.  Spybot used to be the one recommended by all the reviews a few years ago, has something changed?

doktornotor

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 12:40:31 AM »
Interesting.  Spybot used to be the one recommended by all the reviews a few years ago, has something changed?

a few years ago == stone age when it comes to computers and malware