Author Topic: what I don't like about avast!  (Read 3093 times)

zalazeel

what I don't like about avast!
« on: March 10, 2011, 10:12:50 AM »
I like to do some tests with anti virus software I guss thats how I enjoy my computer  ;D
In my personal test I infect a clean system with bunch of malwares then I install the anti virus (eset - avg - avira - mse - avast! ) the reason I install after is to see if the AV can detect active malwares the result is that all of them did detect some active malwares but avast didn't , so to make sure the virus is in their database I downloaded the virus again while avast was activated and it was blocked ?
my question - why isn't avast! reacting to active malwares ?

I'm really sorry for my bad English I had a hard time writing this - hope u understand  :P

Big fan of Avast!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:20:50 AM by zalazeel »

imkhalid

Re: what I don't like about avast!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »
I like to do some tests with anti virus software I guss thats how I enjoy my computer  ;D
In my personal test I infect a clean system with bunch of malwares then I install the anti virus (eset - avg - avira - mse - avast! ) the reason I install after is to see if the AV can detect active malwares the result is that all of them did detect some active malwares but avast didn't , so to make sure the virus is in their database I downloaded the virus again while avast was activated and it was blocked ?
my question - why isn't avast! reacting to active malwares ?

I'm really sorry for my bad English I had a hard time writing this - hope u understand  :P

Big fan of Avast!

I m BIG FAN tooo

they might be false positives, bcoz i hav avast 6 free installed on my XP PRO and Avira 10 free on Win7, most of the times Avira captures most false positives but Avast isn't.

else u can send the sample/file to virus@avast.com zipped/rar and password protected with the password in email body

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 10:52:26 AM »
zalazeel, usually malware ares tested against popular antivirus-es to make sure they can hide themselves from being detected by them, so when they are active, some AVs fail catch them, Did avast missed that malware during a boot-scan too?
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

zalazeel

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 10:56:25 AM »

[/quote]

I m BIG FAN tooo

they might be false positives, bcoz i hav avast 6 free installed on my XP PRO and Avira 10 free on Win7, most of the times Avira captures most false positives but Avast isn't.

else u can send the sample/file to virus@avast.com zipped/rar and password protected with the password in email body
[/quote]

I think you didn't understand sorry if im not clear enough my point is to test avast! ability to heal an already infected PC
I m definitely sure it is a virus I download like 20 from MDL website while avast! shields are turned off then after running them a switch it on to see it in action  
so far it didn't do anything ... while other vendors i tested previously did fairly good

Thanx

zalazeel

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 11:04:34 AM »
zalazeel, usually malware ares tested against popular antivirus-es to make sure they can hide themselves from being detected by them, so when they are active, some AVs fail catch them, Did avast missed that malware during a boot-scan too?

well i don't think it hided it self quite nicely it is showing in my task manger taking 99% of cpu

the shields didn't respond at all with all of these active viruses but when i did a manual scan it detected almost all of them

I just want to know why the behavior shield or any of the 8 shields aren't catching them while they are showing some activity ?

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 11:20:25 AM »
avast Shield scan files during Read and Write of data, so if malware has been opened/started before avast shields start, avast will not scan them as they are already running. if avast keep scanning running files too it will use too much resource in your computer.

If you want avast scan already running files/malwares. that's when you have to use Quick Scan or Full Scan...
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE