Author Topic: avagent cpu bound  (Read 15278 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:avagent cpu bound
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2004, 09:09:55 PM »
Could you identify the problematic archive, which should be close to (or rather shortly after, as Vlk explained) the end of the report file when full logging (i.e. including the "OK files") is specified?

gprzybyl

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2004, 09:54:29 PM »
How would I determine what file avast is currently scanning?  Does it scan in alphabetical order or some other order?  My understanding is that files that are logged are the ones avast is finished with.  So I could look at the next file after the one that is scanned?  Would turning details on in standard shield do it?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2004, 10:11:29 PM »
Do you think you could isolate the file that's causing the problems?
It should be pretty easy with a local aswCmd.exe scan (the name of the problematic file should be displayed on the screen at the moment of the hang).

BTW it might be the CHM unpacker. I've heard that it may contain some problems (at least in the version you're using).

BTW2 I know updating from RC2 to RC2a does not work for the AMS/console. But what about the clients? If it doesn't work, can you post the corresponding setup.log file?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2004, 10:12:47 PM »
Well, I think avast! doesn't do any sorting of the files to be scanned - but as far as I know, the API functions enumerating the files return them in alphabetical order on NT-platform. So, I think you can expect them to be in alphabetical order (at least you can check by the previous ones).
You are right that if avast! freezes on a file, it wouldn't get logged; however, you can judge by the previous one (if the problem occurs after the first file of the archive, even the previous archive files should be there).

The easiest way to find out is to turn on the creation of the report files for the particular task (and set the "OK files" to be included there as well). Or, try to use aswCmd with the corresponding command-line.

OK, Vlk was faster ;)... and checking the aswCmd window would probably be the easiest.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 10:14:35 PM by igor »

gprzybyl

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2004, 10:17:53 PM »
I tried one client update it worked fine.  

I'll rerun the command line scan.  I don't remember the name of the file but it was a .dll .  I'll see what it comes up with this time.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2004, 01:34:24 PM »
Any news on the problem? ;)

gprzybyl

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2004, 07:51:24 PM »
 I reran the command line scan after upgrading to RC2A.  aswcmd.exe once again maxed out the cpu.  This time on a file named Unnamedstream.exe in spysweeper.exe .  This is a different file than the one previous which was a .dll .  Hitting esc does get you out of it and it cleans itself up.