Author Topic: Avast and Comodo Firewall without D+.make sure D+ is totally disabled!  (Read 5629 times)

privateofcourse

I'm not sure why, because I'm clearly not as clever some people here, but after updating to the latest Avast beta, moving files in XP3 became delayed: I could see the Avast animated icon cycling round on some files, and the CPU fan got a lot noisier. Anyhow, after hunting about I found that Defense+ in Comodo wasn't fully disabled, even though it is checked as disabled. I had already disabled the cloud scanner, because that was still active after disabling D+ but Execution Control settings were also still enabled. Since disabling them all by unchecking everything on the Defense+ Execution Control settings page the problem has gone away. As I said, don't know why it should suddenly show after the pre-release update, but just in case anyone has the same problem you might want to check your Comodo settings.

privateofcourse

Well, Comodo may have been causing a problem but that wasn't it at all. It is Avast after all!

I just tested a move from one folder to another, on the same partition, and Avast completed choked up my system while the File System Shield took over. I moved a 153MB exe, an SFX 7-ZIP archive from Hewlett Packard containing drivers, and Avast's FSS scanned it, and the system became unresponsive until it had finished...and 3 minutes in fact. Process Explorer shows the CPU shoot up and it stays there all the time. The file then does not appear in the folder to which it was moved until Avast 'lets go of it'. Snaps attached. I disabled the FSS and tried it and all worked fine. Reenabled the FSS and problem back.

Now that definitely wasn't happening before.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:23:52 PM by Privateofcourse »

YoKenny

I have been noticing this on my XP Pro system! :o
It has just about killed Acronis True Image Home 2011 from being able to do its backup tasks!  ???

privateofcourse

The answer to this is to do a complete uninstall of the pre-release version and reinstall 6.0.1000. That's what I've just done and now everything is back the way it was and working properly again.

YoKenny

The answer to this is to do a complete uninstall of the pre-release version and reinstall 6.0.1000. That's what I've just done and now everything is back the way it was and working properly again.
I was afraid of that.  :'(

Back to 6.0.1000 for me to see if that fixes my problem with Acronis True Image Home 2011  ::)

YoKenny

I was afraid of that.  :'(

Back to 6.0.1000 for me to see if that fixes my problem with Acronis True Image Home 2011  ::)
It sure did fix my problems with Acronis True Image Home 2011!