Author Topic: Japan's Tsunami @ 11 March 2011  (Read 24096 times)

ManyQs

Re: Japan's Tsunami @ 11 March 2011
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2011, 09:51:54 AM »
I think it's safe for me to finally post that the aftershocks have subsided quite a bit, if anyone is still keeping an eye on this thread. Of course, last time I made that report we were hit with a string of scary ones. I've unpacked my huge "run-out-the-door" bag that I put together within hours of getting home and cleaning up the mess all about.

Of course, the world is now keeping a wary eye on what is happening in Fukushima, and setbacks are to be expected, but I think they are making progress.

I want to also help you when you are trying to decide what news reports to believe about this or that is a radiation hazard. When the government issues an evacuation warning/order for Mito City in Ibaraki Prefecture you can start to believe that matters are out of control. Otherwise, I think a lot of the doom-and-gloom some nedia folks are putting out is for selling their product.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to do at the Fukushima powerplant and we will be suffering through rolling blackouts until winter, but we aren't going to turn into a radioactive wasteland, I don't think.

I had a rather chilling moment a few hours ago as I started setting up the first steps to doing some research and I posted that a short time ago over there where I pointed y'all before. Don't want to push that too much as it's not so polite. Still, it was a rather chilling experience.

That's my report for now and hopefully the next will be be full of even more hope and then I have a request of y'all in the Avast Community, as I noted in an earlier post.

Well, before that you might say a prayer, if you're inclined to such, for those folks that are up north that are still in deep trouble and for the workers at the Fukushima plant. That would be a good thing. Donations are always a good thing in times like this. As a matter of fact what was that line in "Kelly's Heroes" -- positive waves, right? Aim positive waves in our direction. It will help, I'm sure.

End of report.

SafeSurf

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2011, 10:34:18 AM »
Thanks for your report ManyQs.  We will look forward to your update in the near future and will be thinking of you and your country.

ManyQs

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2011, 05:02:42 PM »
We just had one nasty aftershock about ten minutes ago and we DO have a tsunami warning up which means not a lot of time for some folks if they were down close to the water's edge.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2011, 05:10:07 PM »
We just had one nasty aftershock about ten minutes ago and we DO have a tsunami warning up which means not a lot of time for some folks if they were down close to the water's edge.

Sorry to hear/read that. :(
Good luck to your people...!!!!!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2011, 05:20:35 PM »
ManyQs, glad you're okay.
It seems you're in more near place than me... please take care...

Hope this aftershock will not result more disaster. :(
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

ManyQs

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2011, 05:30:39 PM »
Seems there are some issues at present at the Onagawa Nuclear Power Plant, but obviously details are a bit sketchy. Gotta hope for the best.

Strange, just about ten or so hours ago I was telling some of my staff we'll need a bit of luck to get through the trouble at Fukushima and this aftershock was exactly the kind of bad luck I was referring to. But it might not be so bad at Fukushima from what I'm hearing right now. They had 9 workers they got to safety and the TEPCO people just closed their press conference.

My, my -- we want the Jishin God to stop it, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Afraid there are reports of gas leaks and fires up in Miyagi Prefecture, but I couldn't catch what city, or cities. There is a power issue in both Miyagi and Yamagata Prefectures. That is they lost power over a very wide area right after the quake ended. And now there are reports that Aomori, Akita Prefectures have also lost power.

Man, we're in the _____ again. This will be an all nighter for a lot of folks.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 06:00:20 PM by ManyQs »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2011, 06:05:09 PM »
The tsunami warning has been reversed.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ManyQs

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2011, 07:33:25 PM »
The tsunami warning has been reversed.

Yep, that's very good news when we see that. Still other issues to resolve but the tsunami issue out of the way is a big load off a lot of minds. But a lot of folks without power and some reports of fires, so it's going to be a bit before it's all clear on this last one.

A week or so ago I decided to get serious at studying these earthquakes and learned that the 1964 Alaskan earthquake generated 10,000 aftershocks over a period of a year, so that sort of helped me understand and come to grips with a long time of shakes. Doesn't help, though, when a strong one like we just had hits.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2011, 07:41:32 PM »
Doesn't help, though, when a strong one like we just had hits.

I can hardly imagine, as I've never experienced an earthquake of this strenght.
They say it was a 7.1, not sure other sources talk about 7.4...??

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2011, 01:21:38 AM »
I can hardly imagine, as I've never experienced an earthquake of this strenght.
They say it was a 7.1, not sure other sources talk about 7.4...??
According to Japan Meteorological Agency, its magnitude is 7.4.

There are about 100 people got injured by this aftershock... hope they'll recover soon.
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

ManyQs

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2011, 02:54:23 AM »
Yep, we're not hearing about any deaths, and that's good. All the power plants are seemingly okay, including a few that are of the oil/coal burning type that were knocked off line. Sure need those back up and running ASAP. Power is an issue in all areas north and east of the Tokai region and south of Hokkaido.

I saw that post a couple up about not imagining what it might be like and it's hard to put in words about these constant aftershocks and how they get on one's nerves, but here's something that might help.

Y'all might know that odd feeling when you had a baseball cap on for a long time and then take it off and for an hour or so it sometimes feels like it's still on your head. Same thing with a heavy backpack.

Well, that's sort of a bit like what it's like here these days. We've had so many aftershocks that we can actually feel that sometimes we can be sitting in our homes or some spot that we spend much time at and it will feel in the seat of our pants that it's shaking, but it's not. Sometimes it's such a strong feeling that you have to look at your favorite "shake indicator" to see if there really is any shaking going on. "Shake indicators" are like a hanging light, a mirror is good, or any type of thing on a desk or cabinet or shelf within easy sight that shakes before other stuff.

Anyway, that false alarm shaking is a constant with me and I suppose a lot of other folks. Then, of course, there is the shaking that is no false alarm, like last night. Just that that one was a whole lot worse than the earlier ones. In fact, they say it was the strongest one yet. Let's hope that remains so.

EDIT at just after noon on the 8th here in Japan.

Yep, we're not hearing about any deaths, and that's good.

I'm editing this because the NHK noon news indicates there have been some deaths and out of respect to those that died I want to edit my post, but I don't want to add an extra post.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:17:31 AM by ManyQs »

ManyQs

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2011, 11:15:12 AM »
I guess it was a celebration of the one month since the 9.0, but we just had a 7.1M, a 6.0M, a 5.6M and those were all in the space of about thirty minutes and we've had -- rats, one right now -- I was going to write so many smaller ones since the 7.1 about 15 or so past 5pm JST.

Man, this is so very uncool!!

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »
I guess it was a celebration of the one month since the 9.0, but we just had a 7.1M, a 6.0M, a 5.6M and those were all in the space of about thirty minutes and we've had -- rats, one right now -- I was going to write so many smaller ones since the 7.1 about 15 or so past 5pm JST.

Man, this is so very uncool!!
Small tremble continues continuously since this 7.0 aftershock...  :'(

Hey, it comes again right now...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:31:48 AM by NON »

ManyQs

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2011, 05:02:46 PM »
Well, I've been poking around the site off-and-on over the past few hours so it seems impolite to not post a sort of update here. In fact, we just had a magnitude 6 just off the coast of Chiba Prefecture a short time ago. Nice sharp jolt that was. It doesn't seem to pay anymore to even think the seismic activity has dropped off because just about when one starts to feel a little less threatened a nice jolt comes along to remind us that Mother Nature is the boss.

AND there is the very real continued threat of the Fukushima Daiichi Power Plant and that is not going to go away for at least another 6 months. In fact, the early results from trying to get those cute little robots into the containment buildings is not all heartening. 99% humidity in one building had the poor robot's camera lense all steamed over. Debris in the other stopped the other robot pretty much at the door.

The French company, Avera, states the earliest they can build that processing plant for water treatment (removing radioactve substances) will be June, at the earliest.

Fukushima Daiichi is like a kind of threat we are learning to live with, just like the expert opinion that the possibility of strong aftershocks in the 7 to 8 range is still very real. We get a 6M now and just shrug it off as no real big deal.

Anyway, I just felt it was impolite to post elsewhere and not here. I mean, y'all folks have posted some very kind words of support and that's appreciated, for sure.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2011, 06:21:18 PM »
Thank you again for continuing to keep us updated.
An update from a forum member is worth a lot more than reading it in the paper.
You are there and are able to give us first hand reports.
Please continue to update us when ever your able to do so and please stay safe.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet