Author Topic: win32.rootkit-gen[rtk]  (Read 3260 times)

thisiscool

win32.rootkit-gen[rtk]
« on: March 12, 2011, 04:26:01 AM »
well, i got this while visiting on a regular site (running away from warez and stuff- probably from advertisments).
anyway.. avast did what it was supposed to do: he said "%windir%\system32\x" file has been deleted - like i told him to do.
and after that i've run a boot scan, he found a png file on temporary files (the png from the web tried to infect the pc)- so i removed it too.
everything is clear.. the computer runs for hours now! nothing has been found and the system restore is disabled from day 1.
the question is: is it safe now or should i install the os from the beginning? god knows what rootkit may do.
+ i did 2 more boot scans and nothing has been found, and there's no effect on the computer as well.
 ???

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: win32.rootkit-gen[rtk]
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 05:42:50 AM »
You can post logs of what Mr. Essexboy has asked in this thread so that he can check your system whether its virus free. Post a link in that thread to this thread so that he will know that someone's waiting for him. Do not post the logs there; do it here(Use additional options while posting)

imkhalid

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 07:59:35 AM »
i need to know that avast 6 free has anti-rootkit ???
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:29:19 AM by imkhalid »

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 08:18:55 AM »
thisiscool

Hello, what operating system you have installed? Windows XP?

Have you installed the patch from Kido aka (Conficker, Win32.HLLW.Shadow.based)?

MS08-067;
MS08-068;
MS09-001.

Try to scan the space here with this utility
http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/kk.zip
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:34:13 AM by Dim@rik »

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »
@ imkhalid,

Yes, Avast has anti-rootkit.

Please follow the suggestions given to you by nmb:

Check the information on the first post of this thread under Virus/Worms for you to check your machine for malware: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0.  

Follow the directions of obtaining an MBAM log (make sure you update MBAM first) and the OTL logs (save them as ANSI and not Unicode).  When the OTL scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt.  Post the MBAM log and the two (2) OTL log as an attachment (Additional Options > Attach > Browse (the logs will be on your desktop > Post) to your next post in this thread.  We will then analyze and contact our malware expert, Essexboy.  Do not follow suggestions of other helpers other than Avast Evangelists until Essexboy arrives (he usually comes here late UK time).  

Please do not make any further changes to your machine after you have provided the logs.

Let us know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

imkhalid

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 06:48:52 AM »
@ SafeSurf

thnx  :)