Author Topic: Avast 5.xxx -pathetically slow boot time  (Read 14979 times)

Offline fmerk

Re: Avast 5.xxx -pathetically slow boot time
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 08:57:58 PM »
Try soluto.com to check which is going on with your boot.

Ok, I did.
Complete and clean removal of 4.8. Installed 5.1.889. No malware running (for now-usually run Malawarebytes).
Boot time went from 2:13" > 5:05 (more than doubled---seems even longer)  ::)
Avast boot time went from 30 sec. on 4.8 > 51 sec. (is that why it's called 5.1?  ;D)

A BIG chunk of boot was just called [System] and was 81 sec. I did not note that process time during the 4.8 boot so it must not have been significant. Soluto does not define what exactly is the [System(s)] file booting.

In addition a clipboard tool [Clipmate] I use has it's boot process screwed up. This has been predictable in 5.x. It half boots - running in process but not available. I need to kill it with task manager and reload it. It's OK then.

Updates seem normal. Protection seems OK.

Does this help anyone figure out my problem?

YoKenny

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 09:17:16 PM »
When I had Soluto on my XP Pro system it slowed down boot up so much that I could go and make a cup of coffee at the start of my XP Pro system's boot up and by the time the coffee was ready in 10 minutes the system was up. 

The best setting I found was to Load avast! services only after loading other system services in SETTINGS then Troubleshooting

Are you running XP Home or Pro?

Offline fmerk

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 05:04:09 AM »
When I had Soluto on my XP Pro system it slowed down boot up so much that I could go and make a cup of coffee at the start of my XP Pro system's boot up and by the time the coffee was ready in 10 minutes the system was up.  

The best setting I found was to Load avast! services only after loading other system services in SETTINGS then Troubleshooting

Are you running XP Home or Pro?

I'm running XP Home. Soluto (according to Soluto) it loading in 8 sec. My initial problem was with avast 5. Adding Soluto as a diagnostic has not made any noticeable difference.

I'll try the [load avast last] option.
FWIW it continues to screw up Clipmate.

Addendum:
I did the [load avast last] change. Boot time improved to 4:41. Avast was 40sec, and [System] was 83sec.
Clipmate booted right, a couple other things did not....weird.

But NOW, the Avast icon on mouse-over says [avast! Ativirus: WARNING, your system is UNSECURED]. When I open the Avast menu it says it IS secured.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:14:39 AM by fmerk »

Offline fmerk

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 10:19:49 PM »
I used [Soluto]to disable a bunch of my non-critical start programs. Most of them were a few seconds. According to that program the combined total saved was 30 seconds for 12 items.

The reality: Total boot time dropped to 1:24 (from 5 minutes). System boot dropped to 19 sec, and Avast to 5 sec. INCREDIBLE!

So, some combination of boot items is not playing well together. I'll have to start adding them slowly back in and see what breaks it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 10:22:40 PM »
fmerk, glad to know that Soluto gave you a hand ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 10:52:39 PM »
@ fmerk
For all those non-essential startup programs, whilst they might only take a few seconds each, avast is also going to have to scan what they are loading, so it can have a greater cumulative effect.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline fmerk

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 10:20:30 AM »
@ fmerk
For all those non-essential startup programs, whilst they might only take a few seconds each, avast is also going to have to scan what they are loading, so it can have a greater cumulative effect.

Granted.
I still don't understand why my boot time went from a 2+ minutes on 4.8 to 5+ minutes on 5.x. Both are supposedly scanning pretty much the same items on the same PC.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 10:37:06 AM »
WHat about analysis with BootVis ? It's similar to Soluto, just more detailed and not so nice looking.

There is something that doesn't like each other on your system, you just have to figure it out what. Emulator takes its time, but then again there is caching that should speed up stuff considerably.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 11:20:14 AM »
RejZor is correct. BootVis can be used in XP.

Offline fmerk

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 08:21:38 PM »
I've been adding stuff back slowly. The mass disable did end out hobbling a couple items I wanted.
Seems for every [app] that supposedly takes like 2 sec to load [System] jumps 10sec and Avast increases 2sec. Have not found the 'critical conflict' item, if there is such a problem. Maybe it's just the accumulated time for System and Avast to deal with each loaded app.

I'll try out [BootVis].

raffnixpert

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 02:54:07 AM »
I also had those terribly slow boot times since avast 5 installation. I identified 3 possible courses of action: to wait for a new avast 5 build that would run as smoothly as the former avast 4 versions, to uninstall Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5.1 (free), whose latest version arouse my suspicion for degradation of system performance and finally to remove the checkmark against avast Setting > Troubleshooting > Load avast services only after loading system services.

After having taken these measures, my boot times are back to normal. What exactly brought about this improvement I don’t know because unfortunately I did not evaluate the system status after each of these measures. If I remember correctly there was a definite improvement after updating to version 5.1.889 and also after removing that checkmark (quite contrary to what Akarshan Biswas reported im Reply #12). But I cannot dismiss a fatal interrelationship between Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5.1 free and avast!5 either.

Offline fmerk

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 10:27:37 PM »
Thought I might wrap this up. I'm OK with the way things are running now. I'm down to 1:33 for boot and that's after adding Malwarebytes back in so it was not the culprit. It seems to just be the accumulation of a bunch of things and I'm not patient enough to put them all back one-by-one and reboot to see what goes down.

I did try [BootViz]. For me it didn't add anything revealing at this stage because I had already cleaned things up. Optimizing the boot maybe helped a bit but not remarkably.

Thanks everyone for your help.

BTW-had a buddy with a 10+ minute boot time. He use [Soluto] and fixed it to normal. He's very happy about that.

Fritz

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 01:49:54 AM »
He use [Soluto] and fixed it to normal.
Good :)