Author Topic: System Restore Problems in Vista  (Read 1572 times)

schoolmaster

System Restore Problems in Vista
« on: March 12, 2011, 01:38:29 PM »
I am using the Pro version of avast. Windows Vista, plenty of room on hard drive ie9. Since the past 2 updates of Avast, I have seen my Restore Points disappear. I am using another anti-virus while I check if it is Avast or not. Right now, it appears Avast is the culprit. I have not had my points disappear in 4 days. Has anyone else been experiencing these problems?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: System Restore Problems in Vista
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 04:47:36 PM »
Well avast doesn't delete anything autonomously it scans and alerts to infection and presumably that isn't the case ?
There is no built in functionality to remove restore points other than infected restore points.

Depending on the version of avast you have 5.x or 6.0 then you have automated actions upon detecting an infected item, by default that is move to the chest, so unless you have changed the default settings it shouldn't automatically delete.

I have avast 6.0.1000 on my win7 starter, Netbook and that has system restore enabled and I haven't seen what you are experiencing. For me I have always considered system restore as flaky (certainly not 100%) and have always disabled it and user Drive Imaging software as a replacement for system restore.

Now avast does create restore points usually before a program update, etc. so depending on your system restore settings and size allocated to system restore, it is possible that the oldest restore points may be dropped.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security