Author Topic: Avast Home Edition std shield blocker  (Read 3582 times)

Cochise

Avast Home Edition std shield blocker
« on: September 18, 2004, 12:22:42 AM »
I have set the standard shield blocker to block "opening file for writing". When I connected to the web and Avast was performing its vps update, an Avast message came up letting me know that Avast was attempting to re-write/modify  a file and was asking permission to either allow, deny, or ignore it.

I understand why the message appeared and the options "allow" and "deny", but what does the "ignore" option do? Will that add a specific file or  file type to a database so that any source can modify that particular file  or in this case would it just allow  Avast to modify any type of file and not ask me every time Avast was trying to re-write a file?

Delta

Re:Avast Home Edition std shield blocker
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 10:33:31 AM »
...or in this case would it just allow  Avast to modify any type of file and not ask me every time Avast was trying to re-write a file?

That is exactly what it does until the computer is rebooted then Avast will again ask for permission.

Delta

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 02:59:22 PM »
Will that add a specific file or  file type to a database so that any source can modify that particular file  or in this case would it just allow  Avast to modify any type of file and not ask me every time Avast was trying to re-write a file?

I'd rather say it's the first option - the particular file will be allowed to be modified during this Windows session (at least I hope so... Vlk?)

Delta

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 04:03:57 PM »
Sorry but on my Windows ME computer it applies to all extensions that are normally blocked. I tested it by writing a program to create a .com file on my desktop followed by a .exe file.
When it's run for the first time I'm asked for permission to write both files. If I run it again and click ignore for the .com file the .exe file will be ignored as well. Execute it a third time and I will not be asked for either.

Delta

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 09:52:20 PM »
Hmmm, been doing some more checking and it seems that if a .com is written to the hard drive and ignore is clicked then all extensions will be ignored when written. But if permission to rename a .com file is granted via the ignore button, Avast will ask for permission to rename .exe files. The same applies for delete.  
So it seems that I was right when talking about writing files but Igor was right where renaming or deleting files is concerned, which sounds strange to me. ???
Does anyone else experience this behaviour?